Akakura x (gender-neutral)Reader

╔══。☆✼★━━━★✼☆。 ══╗
Flashbacks in italics
╚══。☆✼★━━━★✼☆。══╝

Index
Iwa is your nickname given by Tendō (Iwa meaning rock).

🧸♡TITLE♡🧸
ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっcuddle⊂ʕ•ᴥ•⊂ʔ

AUTHOR'S POV

══。☆✼★━━━★✼☆。 ══
"I'm your partner for the history project, Akakura Kai. You can just call me Kai."

"...L/n F/n."

"You're good at making models. We'll pass this for sure."

*nods*

"We got an A+! Good job, L/n."

*high five*

"F/n—you don't look too good. Are you okay?"

*shakes head*

"I'll take notes for you. Go back to your room."

*bows*

"You're reckless. Coming to class with a cold."

*cough*

"I'll come to see you tomorrow morning. Rest well."

*grunt*

"Do you feel better now?"

*nods*

"Want a hug?"

*opens arms*
══。☆✼★━━━★✼☆。 ══

"Akakura, where's L/n?" Yūshō asked. "Don't they usually show up by now?"

Akakura explained that you were busy with your club activities and couldn't watch him practice. But to his surprise, you appeared behind him a few seconds later. He jumped, shocked he didn't hear you come in.

"You scared me! I thought you said you had archery practice today?"

You shook your head and showed him the cancellation email you received from your coach. He could see the disappointment that you couldn't practice but his hug made you feel better.

"Oh! I don't think I've ever seen you smile L/n!"

You looked at Yūshō and shrugged. You were stone-faced and silent. Half the time people assumed you were mute. Tendō marched over, splaying his arm over your shoulder. You spared him a glance before pushing off his arm.

"Aww, I thought we were friends, Iwa-chan."

You sent Akakura a pleading look to get Tendō away from you.

"Uh, senpai, I think we should return to practice," he said. Tendō nodded with a suspicious amount of enthusiasm.

"Iwa-chan can join us!" he exclaimed. "I want to confirm something."

Without a chance to decline, you were dragged onto the court.

"Wakatoshi-kun, Benkei, we need your assistance."

"Who are you?"

"L/n F/n," you softly replied with a bow.

"I want them to block a spike," Tendō explained. "Semi can help."

"He didn't use my—"

"Don't finish that sentence," Reon advised the shocked setter.

Tendō told you the basics of blocking and left you on the court. You glared at Akakura for not doing anything. He nervously laughed.

"You got this?"

"Are you ready?" Semi asked. You nodded. You knew Semi knew you were watching his every move. He was trying to throw you off guard. When he faked a look left you didn't fall for it. You didn't react at all. You waited for him to set before moving. As soon as the balls left his fingers, you followed, right to Ushijima.

You jumped, arms stretched up and in front. You knew you wouldn't be able to stuff his spike so you adjusted. You moved your fingers, making the ball fly back.

"Kai!"

He was shocked to hear your call but went for the ball anyway. He returned it within the lines. Shirabu joined in, giving you a set. You returned the ball, in the same manner, it had been given. Off Semi's fingers and to the wall.

You returned to Akakura, dropping your chin on his head. He faintly laughed and hugged you. You recharged and left before anyone could question you.

"Is no one going to question what just happened?" Tendō asked.

The boys were impressed but no one cared much about it. They doubt you did either.

"Akakura, you should've told me Iwa-chan could play volleyball," Tendo whined.

"They can't," the libero replied. A collective 'ha?' echoed in the gym.

"L/n has to have some volleyball experience to be able to do that," Shirabu said.

"Y/n has never played volleyball."

The boys didn't believe Akakura, but he couldn't blame them. You were a fast learner, a scary fast learner. Even now, he was shocked it only took you a couple of tries to hit a bullseye at your first archery practice. He still remembers your coach's flabbergasted look.

"Tell them they should've joined the volleyball team."

"Wakatoshi-kun, you and I need to talk about your social skills."

TIME SKIP

Akakura returned to his room after practice. His roommate had told him you were asleep on his bed again. He quietly opened the door, trying to hold his laughter at the sight of you. You were sitting at the very corner of the bed, wrapped in blankets with only your face showing. You looked exhausted, just about ready to give up for the night.

Akakura tossed his bag aside, sitting on the bed. You immediately pulled him into your arms. His roommate watched you slowly regain life and laughed.

"Are you L/n's charger?"

"I guess," Akakura replied with a smile. "Y/n doesn't have a very extensive social battery."

"You're a big softie, L/n."

You huffed, resting your cheek on Akakura's head. You felt yourself falling asleep and your boyfriend sensed it too.

"Lay down before you fall asleep sitting."

You let yourself fall to one side, still holding Akakura. He waited until you were asleep to wiggle his way out of your arms. He adjusted the covers and sat at the desk to finish some homework. The lack of warmth woke you up. You noticed the lamp on the desk was open and assumed he was there. You moved your head closer to the desk and cuddled the blanket. Akakura didn't have to look to place his hand on your head, tenderly putting you back to sleep.

His roommate watched with a goofy smile. "This is weird and yet I couldn't see it any other way."

"I wouldn't want it any other way," Akakura replied, smiling at the peaceful look on your face. You had your own little smile.

"Kai..."

He breathed a laugh. "Goodnight Y/n."