Chapter 38

Warning- Flashbacks of attempted rape, trauma bonding.

Ryan woke to the sound of a scream, then weeping sobs. Quin's voice calmly and gently comforting Niles as he cried, curling up into a ball in Quin's arms.

Ryan couldn't even remember falling asleep, but his book was on his lap and it was dark outside now.

"Ssshhh honey, it's ok. Your safe, no one's going to hurt you, I promise." Quin said gently as Niles let out a frightened whimpering sound.

Ryan debated whether he should speak, he didn't really know what was best to say but he felt he should try.

"Hey Niles, don't you worry. Trent was taken away by the Enforcer from the council, he will be held in the cells until the trial. He can't get to you anymore, we will protect you. I know your scared around me, but you don't need to be. I want you to feel safe, ok?"

Niles gave a small nod, he didn't dare look at Ryan but he didn't smell any dominance in the air anymore.

Quin had smelt Ryan as soon as he woke, it was strange to Quin how comforted he felt just to smell Ryan now.

Ryan rested his hand gently on Quin's side as Quin comforted Niles, slowly Niles calmed down and the crying stopped, replaced by stuttered breathing.

Niles hated how weak he felt, how his mind kept taking him back to the river, to the moment Trent appeared off the boat. The paralyzing fear that took hold as Trent's dominance hit him, how he had urinated in fear after Trent smacked him to the ground. He wanted to crawl away and hide, but Trent was on top of him so quickly, pulling off his pants and grabbing and groping.

Niles pushed his face into Quin and breathed in the scent of forests on a rainy day, willing himself to remember how Quin had saved him, how strong and powerful he had been as he stood up to Trent. Niles only wished he could have that kind of resolve, but at least he had the comfort of knowing that Quin would be there for him.

Over the next few days, Niles stayed in Ryan and Quin's room. Quin slowly recovered his strength day by day, both Niles and Ryan caring for him by bringing him food, lots of Gail's herbal tea and giving him company whilst he was stuck in bed.

Ryan gave the two of them space during the day, he was still dealing with the Lunar Council, Trent's Father who was furious and Kyle who was still causing upset.

Quin and Niles would spend their days talking, Quin listening and comforting Niles as he talked about what happened before Quin had arrived at the dock.

Niles was struggling with the shame he now felt, the thought that he somehow caused this to happen was pervasive. Quin constantly kept telling him that he didn't do anything wrong, and the fault lay solely with Trent, but Niles just couldn't shake it.

"But maybe I encouraged him somehow..." Niles said through tears as Quin held his hand.

Quin shook his head and squeezed his hand tightly, Niles looking at Quin sadly.

"Niles... I'm going to tell you something, but I want it to stay between the two of us, ok?" Quin said, his voice suddenly quiet and weak.

Niles nodded, a sudden concern flooding through him. Quin appeared to be frightened, his expression was apprehensive and his eyes dropped to stare at the blanket between them. Niles had never seen Quin look like this, whatever it was he was about to say, obviously wasn't good.

"Niles, I have been raped. It happened a while ago now, and it was very traumatic. I felt the things you feel now, I felt like I was dirty, that maybe I had done something to deserve it. For years I couldn't even think about a man without feeling sick, sometimes the repulsion was so strong I would actually throw up. He was a Werewolf, an Alpha. It's one of the reasons I struggled so much with Ryan when I first arrived, but I have learned the hard way how destructive those kinds of thoughts can be."