Chapter 16

The next few days went by in a blur, Quin spent his mornings and afternoon's helping to finish the warehouse, moving onto the roof of Niles house once that was complete. His evenings were spent with Ryan and the family, playing songs and swapping stories.

Quin had to really concentrate when he was around Ryan, the feeling of needing to keep away from him was easier to ignore, but the headaches, nausea and burning in his neck was more difficult to overcome.

Gail's tea helped a lot, but it couldn't take it all away. No matter what you do, if you are in constant pain, it will influence your mood in a negative way.

They still had disagreements, but now they would apologize for them afterwards. And both Quin and Ryan knew that the irritation and repelling feeling wasn't truly how they felt.

They had formed a friendship of sorts by the time the week was over, and on the night before Quin was due to leave, Ryan paced alone in his room.

Had they done enough? Had he done enough?

They had spent the evening together as they normally did now, talking in the family room, Quin playing his guitar for a while before they swapped stories about their life.

Ryan had to step out however, a mix of the strange impulse to stay away and his own worry had driven him to his room.

Sat in place he listened to the other residents of the house going to their rooms for the night before he forced his body to move, heading back downstairs with the intention of having a drink to calm his nerves.

When he got downstairs however, a familiar tune reached his ears. A soft melody from his childhood was coming from the family room, and he crept closer to the open door.

Inside Quin sat with his back to the door, playing his guitar. Ryan's Mother sat opposite, her eyes wet with a look of pure emotion to her features. Ryan realized he knew the tune that Quin was playing, it was the simple tune that his Mother would hum to them as pups.

Quin had taken the tune and elevated it into a beautiful melody, the sound was nostalgic and yet so different. Ryan's heart swelled at the knowledge that Quin had created this beautiful song for his Mother from her own lullaby.

As he finished playing, Gail broke down into happy and emotional tears, reaching out her hands to him. Quin put down the guitar and held Gail in a loving hug, the feeling of a Motherly presence being something he had longed for since losing his own Mother.

"Quin that was beautiful, you have given me a true gift! I can't believe you did all of that from hearing me humming in the kitchen, you are such a precious soul!" Gail said as she sobbed happily into his jumper.

Quin swallowed the lump in his throat, but he still couldn't talk, so he rubbed Gail's back and sighed.

"We are going to miss you, my precious boy" Gail said before pulling back to cup Quin's face in her hands. She then looked over to the door, noticing Ryan.

Quin turned to see Ryan in the doorway, a look on his face Quin couldn't quite place. He began to feel that swell of anxiety rise in his stomach as Gail moved away to the door.

"I will leave you two alone, goodnight boys." She said kissing Ryan on the cheek before exiting.

Ryan gave Quin a smile, but it felt heavy, like there were so many emotions behind the simple gesture.

"Can we talk?" He asked, gesturing to the well worn sofa by the fire.

Quin nodded and sat down, it was unavoidable at this point. They were out of time and he needed to leave early in the morning. He had obligations, he had his friends, and he had so many questions.