Chapter 5

This is a first person perspective, I usually write in third person but thought I would give this a try for a couple of chapters, just to introduce a new character.
Let me know what you think, does it work or would it be better kept in third?
Thanks again for reading!

Ryan's P.O.V
(Inner wolf voice indicated with italics)

It was just an average weekend, the day I received the call from the Lunar Council in New York.

I was sat in the family room at my desk, a large solid structure my dad had made from a white oak that fell one winter. The room is large, but cosy. A multitude of bookshelves and side tables, covered in all manner of random tat that you naturally accumulate if you live somewhere for a long time, and we had lived here a very long time. Generations in fact, had lived within these dark wooden walls, walked across the deep red rugs, sat in the worn and patched mismatched sofa's and armchairs around the large open fire.

I remember as a kid when I first shifted, I ran head first into the glass double doors that lead out onto the front deck, my wolf apparently not understanding the concept of doors being made of glass. He's learned a lot since then, as have I.

It's never easy losing a parent, but when you are the eldest son of the Alpha, and only 15 it is extra challenging.

Since Dad passed away, it's been me and my Mum, my brother and two sisters, who were barely toddlers at the time of his death. The house is somewhat communal, at least the lower floors are so we weren't ever lonely. We have about 100 members to our pack now, and close ties with the local human village.

I spent the last 20 years building and shaping this pack into the beast it is today, and it is a magnificent one full of love and strong sense of community. I honestly couldn't be prouder of my pack and it's members, without them I'd be lost.

Not having a mate as the Alpha frankly sucks, it's a sometimes lonely job and the thought of a warm and loving mate to come home to, to snuggle up with and share comfort in, is something I have longed for ever since becoming Alpha. I'm 35 now and I still haven't found them...

So imagine my surprise when the call came through.
I never really use my phone, it just sits in my pocket doing nothing... well I occasionally take a picture with it, or set the odd alarm but that's kind of the extent of my use. So when the damn thing started ringing I almost jumped out of my desk chair.

"Er... Yes?" I said, immediately grimacing at how much of an idiot I sounded.

"Am I speaking to Mr Langston?" A woman's voice said from the other end of the phone, an oddly cheery sound to her tone.

"Ah.. yeah, this is he?" I replied, scratching my head in confusion. Who rings me? No one rings me, that's who...

"Ah excellent, I have been trying to get through to you for a while now, but given how remote you are I guess your signal wasn't good" The woman states more than asks, I shrug and then roll my eyes at my idiocy.

'She can't see us, moron!' My wolf says, in an annoyed tone. Yeah like I hadn't just realized what I had done.

"I guess? Um, sorry who is this?" I ask, still confused.

"My name is Felicity Meyers, I work for the New York Lunar Council's department for fated mate organisation and assignment."

'Nope, not a fucking clue Ryan.. your on your own mate!' My wolf says. Well great...

"Oh, um.. ok? How can I help you exactly?" I ask, still baffled by the call and now slightly annoyed.

The woman on the other end chuckles happily, which just seems to annoy me even more.