Chapter 37

Once the door closed, and Niles heard Ryan's footfalls disappearing down the stairs he breathed a sigh of relief.

He felt bad but Ryan's presence was making his already fragile nerves, even more breakable.

Niles pushed his face into the pillow, his mind a whirl of fear and sorrow. He was still trying to process everything that had happened, why Trent had come back and tried to...

Niles shuddered in Quin's arms, a weak sob escaping his lips. Quin slowly ran his fingers through Niles's hair, humming the same tune that he learned from Gail.

His whole body burnt, every muscle felt torn, every bone bruised and battered, his skin weak as paper.

He had to think it was due to turning into a huge fucking Bear, his body just wasn't meant to be that big... He hoped that if he needed to do it again in future that it wouldn't hurt so much the next time.

Quin wanted to ask questions, wanted to know if he had been quick enough to stop Trent, to know how Niles was feeling, but he didn't want to upset him. Niles was still trembling, and forcing him to talk before he was ready wouldn't help him.

They both rested for a while, listening to the sounds of muffled voices from downstairs, the occasional bird outside, and the rhythmic sound of each other's breathing. The odd sense of safety it brought them was a welcome relief from the maelstrom that was their minds.

Ryan reached his office, sinking into his chair and resting his head in his hands. His mind was a blur of emotions right now, he was angry at the invasion of his territory and attack on Niles, annoyed at Kyle and his attitude, having been snapped at about "not asserting dominance" enough, and he was frustrated at himself.

He knew he had no reason to be jealous of how close Niles and Quin were, and yet Snow wasn't letting go.

Snow was constant with his pokes and prods for Ryan to claim Quin, to take what was theirs. Trying to reason that Quin would forgive him in time, speaking of how good it would feel to finally mount Quin, sink within his body and bathe in the pleasure only Quin could give him.

Ryan's frustration and annoyance ramped up, as he prayed for this day to come to an end. But he had an Enforcer to wait for, and Kyle was bound to pester and belittle him again at some point.

It felt like he was being backed into a corner, no choice seemed like a good one. If he claimed Quin like he wanted, before Quin was ready, he would ruin the best thing he had ever had. But if he didn't address his needs, that outcome was going to become more and more likely.

If he kept letting Kyle get away with his disrespectful attitude and jibes, he was just proving Kyle right when he said he has no one's respect. But if he confronted Kyle it could break their family apart, his Mother would be devastated and Kyle, Dawn and Boulder would most likely leave the Pack.

Ryan sighed and rested his head against the desk, closing his eyes to try and gain a moments peace. He just needed his mind to calm down, just needed a little time...

A small knock about ten minutes later snapped him from his thoughts, and he grunted in response as he pushed himself up from the desk.

The Pack's Doctor a woman called Grace, entered the room. She gave a polite nod to Ryan, who nodded back.

"Alpha, I have stabilized Trent. The wound will heal, but I believe it will be impossible for him to ever produce pups. Your mate did a very thorough job, messy but very effective." Grace said.

Ryan hid the smirk that threatened to creep across his lips, the shit deserved what he got, besides Quin just made good on his promise, proving to the Pack that he was reliable and capable.