Chapter Sixty-Six

It was really foolish of me to think that I could be in the same room as Caspian and nothing would go wrong. That prince really was a force to be reckoned with. Every time I doubt the possibility, he finds a new way to irritate and enrage me.

There I was amidst the chaos, my hair drenched wet with champagne, struggling to control my rage. However all that pent up frustration simmered as I noticed Cassis's hardened eyes that had narrowed into slits. His face contorted with rage and he reached for his sword.

"Cassis stop." I whispered. He heard me. I know he heard me but he still didn't look at me.
His hand was still on the hilt of his sword and I knew this was going too far .
"Stop. Please." I pleaded and he finally met my gaze. I could feel the pain in his eyes and I understood it very well. It was the feeling of knowing you couldn't do anything about your situation, even if you wanted to try your hardest.

It was then Argentie brushed right past me, her hand raised and her expression furious. I took hold of her hand and pulled her aside. He was my battle to face and I couldn't bare getting anyone in trouble on my behalf. His usual expression didn't face me. Maybe the condescending eyes and arrogant smirk might have pulled some emotional heartstrings on the past Aelia, but I could care less about his childish and pathetic mind games.

Our eyes met and the hatred he haboured was undeniable, it was flaming hot like his blazing crimson hair, I however neatly concealed mine and walked right past him. After extending my apologies to the imperial family, I took my walk of shame back up the stairs, cancelling out the murmurs and whispers that trailed behind me.

"That was too far even for him." Argentie puffed.

"Why did you hold me back after you saw what he did to you?!"

"You know exactly why. Despite his appaling behaviour he's still a prince and an heir at that. You can't just slap him across the face nor unsheath your sword." This time I was looking at Cassis. His hands were clenched at his sides and he clenched his jaw.

"I should go get cleaned up now." My hair and skin started to feel sticky and my body gradually grew hot.

"Should I come with you." Her blue eyes softened.

"No it's fine you should head back and enjoy the banquet." I forced a smile onto my face.

"Are you sure?"

"Truly i'm fine." And with my assurance headed back. Upon arriving at my room, I found Nora arranging my wardrobe.

"Mylady..." Her face dropped upon noticing my hairstyle that was now ruined and soaked.

I felt awful. It was an agonising feeling knowing that all the maids had worked so hard and put so much effort into my appearance only for it to be ruined in much less than an hour.

I could see she wanted to ask what happened but without an exchange of words she knew what to do. After she drew my bath she asked if I needed help. I assured her that I could handle it, and she left.

Now it was just me and Cassis in the moonlit bathroom. I took of my gown and went in. The water was warm and soothing, I couldn't help but hug my knees.

There was a cold silence that could hardly be expressed with words. His fingers suddenly grazed my back before he dug them into my hair.

The feeling of him massaging my scalp grew on me. I just hoped my hair wasn't too tangled. I closed my eyes shut as he poured water over my head, I could feel the sticky sensation wash away. Gently he began pouring foam into my hair and brushing it.

He was so tender with his actions. His patience and caution was sweet. A touch that I wouldn't dare want to loose.

"You should have let me at him." He began.

"I didn't work this hard for a peaceful life just for it to be destroyed in one night." I continued.

"He disrespected you Aelia. He did that to you in front of all those people." Now I could hear the pain in his voice and the realisation finally sunk in. I turned to face his and his eyes which were misted over.

That was my breaking point. A sob rose in my throat as I felt layers of unsettling emotion. I cried in exsceparation and the tears were bitter.

I didn't know exactly why the pools brimmed up, however I just had a feeling of what it was. I clung onto Cassis and buried myself in his chest.

He was my safe haven. My safety net. And I knew he was there to pick me up every time I feel.

That was the only comforting part about this situation.

"I want to go back..." The words are strangled in my throat.

"I know..I know." Cassis said as he patted my head. Stroking it gently and lovingly. Just the two of us in the comforting silence.

We sat there for a long time until I began to doze of. Cassis took me out of the bath and carried me to the bedroom. My head was still buried in his chest as my arms clung to his chest.

Wet hair clung to my body as the cool air grazed me. wrapping me in a towel he sat me down at the edge of the bed and began wiping me dry with a soft towel.

I noticed zade and Zadira deep asleep on the couch and I hoped that atleast the had a nice day.

After I was completely dried down and Cassis put me in the nightgown Nora had laid down for me, he them laid me gently on the bed. He sat across from me, over the blanket he had wrapped over my body.

Cassis affectionately stroked my blonde curls and I gazed into his eyes. He had the most beautiful shade of blue. I gave him a peck on the cheek before dozing off as I lost myself in his eyes.

TO BE CONTINUED...