Chapter Fourty-Seven

| Cassis's Pov |

I woke up to two things, a sun that shrivelled my vision and the sound of a fountain pen rapidly scribbling on the surface of hard mahogany.

Rubbing my eyes I straightened myself on the couch and turned to where the disturbing sound was coming from.

A sigh escaped my lips as my vision cleared.

Aelia was once again sitting at her desk. Still in her nightgown, she flipped through the pages of the document in front of her.

The endless amount of paperwork and the pungent scent of ink came off evocative.

It was as if she was caught up in her own world not even hearing me nearing.

The deep shade of mauve resembling a plum drew my attention.

Eyebags indicating her tiredness had formed over the weeks ever since the conversation with Celestia.

It had really taken a toll on her, both mentally and physically.

She finally looked at me, her eyes dim and hair dishevelled.

I felt my jaw tick and my eyes wrenched.

Her nonchalance is what got that reaction out of me.

An invisible wall constructed solely by her loomed between us, and the distance was excruciatingly vast.

Despite noticing my appearance and expression, she continuously gripped the stationery with her pale fingers and wrote away.

Without hesitation, my hand grabbed the pen causing a pause in her actions.

Her demeanour at the time evoked recollections. It was grey and dim.

FLASHBACK

"You should take a break."

I had suggested. I had dismissed it at the time, thinking she simply needed some alone time and something to keep her busy.

I was soo far off.

"I'm fine."

She had promised without looking me in the eyes.

Aelia had had a smile on her pale face with was probably meant to back up her answer.

However, a smile alone was unable to dispel the dreary and gloomy atmosphere.

Drip

Time had frozen for me as the burgundy shade of red highlighted my sight.

Aelia first looked onto the sheet of paper which had been stained with the fluid before touching the area which it had came from.

The intense gushing however didn't seem to stop anytime soon. And before I knew it I had leapt to carry Aelia. Like a delicate package, I carried her with both hands, keeping her close to my chest.

I sat down at the edge of her bed and placed Aelia on my lap.

She tilted her head forward allowing the blood to flow and I took out a handkerchief and began wiping.

"Don't worry too much it's not that serious."

Yes, it is, I countered internally.

"This isn't the first time."

She assured trying to appease.

Suddenly my mind wandered to whether the nosebleeds were a regular occurrence.