Chapter Twenty-Three

"Isn't that the princess of Lian?"

"You mean duchess Tessia's daughter who was born without mana?"

"Pfft- for being the Tower mistress's daughter she's quite useless."

"My parents told me her father recently died in a carriage accident, maybe that's why she looks soo apathetic."

"Don't worry she's always been like tha-"

Splash!

"Gasp!"

"Isn't that young Lord Elliot ?"

"Did he just splash her with rainwater?"

"Even if he's the Emperor's nephew that's too much."

"Watch your mouth you're only a viscount's daughter, we're both of low rank so mixing ourselves in conflicts of higher ranking  nobles won't be good for us. Just be act as if deaf and blind."

"For the future heiress of the Magic Tower to have no magic ability, it's quite humorous isn't it Aelia?"

"Your persistent nonchalant expression really is aggravating."

"Cat has caught your tongue or why are you so silent today?"

"Haa! Reading a book about gaining mana? You really are shameless."
He snatched away the book then gripped her loose ponytail firmly.

"A disappointment like you shouldn't dream of using mana."
His red eyes flickered madly as Aelia faced her gaze towards the wet grass soaked in dirty rainwater.

—————————

Aelia's fists clenched tightly as she remembered a memory of six-year-old Aelia who was being harassed at a children's gathering.
Saying she hated Elliot was an understatement.

She loathed him.

She tried calming Aelia's trembling body by taking deep breaths.
The fact that her body reacted to his presence made her hate him more.

"For someone who will always be second to me who doesn't even have mana you sure have a lot to say."

"Even after becoming an A rank wizard you still can't compare to me who has the right to inherit the Magic Tower."

"Don't you dare think I'll give up the Magic Tower to you just because I've gotten the position Crown princess.
You'll soon know the feeling of getting something snatched right from someone who you perceive as inferior to you."

His bloody eyes glared dangerously as he gritted his teeth.

"Y-you wenc-"

Swoop-

Cassis harshly smacked Elliot's hand which was out to grab her wrist.

"Don't you dare touch her you filth."
His sapphire eyes looked down on Elliot degradingly as if he was a pebble on the roadside.

At the emphasised word Elliot became blinded by rage.
He was angered and about to pounce on Cassis who had Aelia in a protective embrace,
however his attendant who was next to him intervened.

She whispered something to him which made him click his tongue and storm off.

"Crazy bastard."
Aelia who was gently released from Cassis's hold muttered under her breath.

"Are you okay?"
His eyes softened as he hinted at her previously trembling body.

"Mhm, his presence just brought up some unpleasant memories."

Even though she wasn't the one to experience or endure all the harassment,
the body in which she was currently in reflexively remembered every single detail as if pinned in her brain.

Somehow her warm smile wasn't able to convince him that she was truly okay.

****

TESSIA'S   POV

'She has really changed.'
I thought of Aelia who started calling me mother again.

After his death, she built a barrier around her as if to distance herself from the world and as a mother, I failed to comfort her in a way a mother would. Not calling me mother after his death was just one of the few things which began since her grieving phase.

She matured at the tender age of six and I couldn't prevent it. I only made it worse by putting the title of heiress on her little shoulders.

Despite my worries, she grew up well.

"This parenting thing you always talked about isn't as easy as you made it seem."

"It would've been easier if you hadn't left so early."

"You should've at least met Sylvie before leaving."

Drip...

Drops of tears silently fell on the picture frame which reflected a sorrowful expression.

Trembling fingers affectionately caressed the picture frame which captured one of our happiest moments.

Two newlyweds who fled their wedding to admire a sunflower field.
We smiled brightly as if time had stopped for us.
Enjoying each other's presence as if the moment would never end.

We talked about our future together as we lay side by side on the grass without a care in the world.

Just you and I against the world.

I had you and only you in my eyes and you looked at me as if I was the most precious person in the world.

"I miss you..."

My one and only true love.

————————

"He's too confident for a fourth Male lead. He barely had enough screentime let alone chances to get with the female lead."

"Let it all out."

"I'm not ranting."
Cassis who was drying her wet hair just chuckled as she raised her head to face his eyes.

'Cute.'
He thought looking straight into her grey eyes which were filled with life.

"If you're done you can leave."

"I could spend the night he-"

"Goodnight"

Slam!

Both her eyes and lips smiled as she closed her door shut.

She then turned off all lights and flopped on the soft mattress which felt like clouds.

Engulfed in the darkness she shut her eyes in hopes of getting sleep. Only the light of the full moon was to be seen through her expensively embroidered curtains.

That was until sounds of whimpering forcefully opened her thoroughly shut eyes.

Aelia knew exactly where they came from, that's why she quickened her pace as she ran out of her bedroom.

She opened the room to find a quivering Zadira who was soaked in cold sweat and Zade who was right next to her holding her paw with his trembling paws.
Anxiety covered his face as he gazed at his sister who was painfully groaning in her sleep.

'Even though the occurrence happened often, ever since they entered the Duchy, I still can't get used to it. My stomach always dropped at the sight and the fact that I couldn't do anything to help made me feel even worse.'

TO BE CONTINUED...