Chapter Fifty-Five

The carriage trotted down the loud streets of Vernailles and Aelia who occupied it sat in silence as she was lost in thought. Rays of moonlight hit her grey eyes through the window making them appear white She was on her way to the Lian estate after meeting the Emperor. The very same Emperor was the one who had her in deep thought. She was in a predicament. A tight spot where all ends were blurred, basically nonexistent. The emperor had determined her as a delegate he was sending to the Laurent Empire, not leaving room for any input she might give. She herself had already noticed that it wasn't a request, it was an order to which he could have dropped an Imperial decree whilst he was at it.

Aelia pursed her lips in irritation as she thought back to the scene. The scene where she could only clench the hem of her gown as the emperor dictated what she would do in the following days. How she could do nothing but follow his pesky son who would be accompanied by his lover.

Passing beyond and through the prosperous streets of Venailles the estate to which homed generations of Lians who stayed in the Capital neared.

As the carriage approached, the enormous gates opened.As if attempting to threaten her the huge building towered over her. Resembling marbles and pearls, the cream-coated building glowed in the moonlight. The emerald grass that was still highlighted despite the darkness was perfectly mowed into a circular lawn around the precisely crafted mansion, leaving a vertical opening to the entrance of the estate. Servants were lined up on both the right side and left as Aelia walked down the gravelled ground.

"Welcome Your Highness." They said in unison with bowed heads.

Taking off her shawl, she handed it over to the head maid who followed after her.

Upon entering, the foyer shimmered like bright pearly teeth. Ascending the marble spiral stairs that climbed toward the ceiling she stopped in her tracks.

Cassis stood before her. His raven black hair was luminescent through the crystalline chandeliers.

"You're back?" Cassis asked whilst he slicked the messy mob of hair back.

She nodded and they then walked down the hall toward her room. It was just as she left it and the few clothes she brought with her were already neatly arranged.

"What did he have to say?" He questioned whilst taking off his shirt.

She unknowingly dropped her gaze as her cheeks turned red.

Cassis who noticed felt a small grin creep onto his face.

"You can take a closer look, there isn't anything you haven't seen before." He drew teasing her as his grin grew wider.

Not long after, he dodged a pillow that was perfectly aimed at him.

"Stop teasing me. Do you want to know what happened or not."

Cassis broke into a fit of laughter before reassuring her.

"Yes yes please continue."

"He wants me to visit the Laurent Empire as a diplomat."

"On the positive side, you can gain connections for your business and for after you inherit the Duchy."

"And on the negative side, I'll be accompanied by Caspian and Chloette."

"Can you decline?"

As she shook her head in dismissal Cassis clicked his tongue.

"By the way, why are you dressed like that?"

The dark clothes he wore suited an assassin, especially the cloak draped around his shoulders.

"We're infiltrating the auction house, remember?"