Chapter Thirty-One

Golden rays of sunlight trickled through the indigo curtains with expensive golden and silver embroidery.
The songs the birds were chirping were soft and peaceful, a combination of whistling tree branches and the mild winter breeze added to the tranquil atmosphere.

Aelia silently woke up from her ever-so-long slumber. She rubbed her lazy eyes in order to steady her blurred vision.
What came to sight was a tired-looking Cassis with messy bed hair and eye bags.
He was sitting at her desk, seemingly going through the documents she failed to finish checking the previous day.

Adjusting her silk velvet navy blue robe, she casually walked towards him.

"Did you even sleep last night?"
Her chin was placed on his shoulder as she questioned.

"The two hours i spent on your couch were more than enough."
The voice dripping with sarcasm was hard to overhear.

"You could've slept in, it's my work after all."

"I don't mind."
There it was, the sentence he says soo casually when he's being kind.

"That's awfully kind of you."
Aelia smiled softly at him as he shrugged her compliment off.

"I just don't want you to collapse on me."
Cassis tried putting up the indifferent act, however, she had already seen through him like transparent glass.

His intentions were obvious but Aelia decided to turn a blind eye.
She had spent enough time with him to decipher them.

With slow strides, she walked towards the balcony and rested her arms on the railings.
Her golden waves fluttered in the wind, still silky despite the bed hair.

'What's going on?'
She thought to herself as she noticed the servants busily rushing from the main building and back to the estate.

At that moment the door opened wide and four figures entered the brightly lit room.

Esterlina, Adrien, Zadira, and Zade entered. Esterlina has a five-layered velvet cake with seventeen candles on it in her hands. Adrien just held the twins in his.

Aelia narrowed her eyes at the sight, however, her confusion was soon cleared by the following sentence.

"Happy Birthday Lia!"

'Birthday? Right, it's my birthday today.'
A smile blossomed on her face as she looked towards the ecstatic children.

"Thank you!!"
She thanked them after blowing out all seventeen candles then pulled them into an embrace.
They all melted at her touch and immediately hugged her back.

——————————————————
"You look beautiful Mylady."
Nora gushed after placing the golden leaf hairpiece in between her loose textured bun leaving a few strands of her hair to roam.

A golden baroque crystal tiara perfectly suited her head, which was exquisitely glammed just like her face.
With seven huge diamond mana gems and other tiny crystals, the piece looked expensive and it was expensive.

Aelia dominated the luxuriously tailored ball gown. In bold details, the embroidery of the silhouette stood out. It had long lacy sleeves and gems all over.
It was elegant and classy,
befitting of a princess.

Outside the door stood Cassis with his arms crossed leaning against the wall.
His royal blue tailcoat came into her vision, it was adorned with golden cuffs which had the Duchy's emblem engraved on them.
His eyes widened immediately as he caught a glance at Aelia's dazzling appearance.

He held out his hand and she gladly took it meaning she wanted him to escort her.

"You're stunning."
A soft whisper found its way into her ear.