Chapter 101: Distant Voice - IV

A/N This was supposed to be the last part of the Distant Voice but I'm gonna have to do one more since this one is so long because of course I decide to write the entire conference to torture myself with work building and pLoT😭
Anygays- there's one more part and then it's the home stretch baby! I pray to god I'll be done by October. I say October due to exam season being right now until like flipping June! I got a co-writer though—thank you very much Sarah, I love you to the moon and back—so maybe I'll be pushing out things faster???? Idk we'll see!!
Oh! I also started therapy for my problems— that's been interesting. I've apparently been through shit and have a whole timeline of why I might be overwhelmed 🥰🥰🥰
Right sorry! To the Chapter!!!
———————————————————————

The following day was the competition.

Just a few hours before noon, Nie MingJue welcomed the sects as they arrived for the tradition. The Nie Sect had a large stone amphitheater built for various competitions involving cultivation and fighting. It was a massive construction product, a special pride of the Qinghe Great Sect. The stone was a beige color, bits of white and darker brown shaded around to give off a sleek and high-class atmosphere.

The Sect Leaders, along with Jiang Yanli and Nie Huisang, both of who would not participate in the matches, were expected to sit in the lowest seat, closest to the 'stage'. The young masters would ride out with the chosen disciples who were participating, igniting the opening ceremony before Nie Huisang, courtesy of his brother, would announce the competition.

At least, that's what every other sect had assumed to see.

"Huh?" a minor sect disciple mumbled, "Are my eyes deceiving me?"

"What's wrong?" his head disciple asked.

"There. With the Great Sects,"

Multiple eyes shifted over. It was not hard to miss once their eyes were searching for something. Standing out in high-quality black robes, a sleek black dizi at his waist, flashes of crimson from his hair ribbon and tassel, Wei WuXian was standing to the side of the box, discussing something with Wen Qing.

"Young Master Wei, the head disciple isn't participating?" A Jin cultivator mumbled.

Jin ZiXuan fought off the urge to smack the disciple over the head. Instead, he merely stoked his mare, glancing over to where the Jiang delegation was. Jiang Cheng was in the center of the disciples, seeming as if they were merely preparing, but the other heirs knew better.

The Jiang disciples were keeping Jiang Cheng away from answering any questions. The official pardon, from what all other disciples, including the ones of YunmengJiang, were informed, was that Wei WuXian had donned an injury due to one of his inventions going wrong, reopening a war wound. As such, Wen Qing deemed him unfit to participate.

But there were naturally those who did not comprehend such a simple reason.

"Him? Injured?"

"I bet it's something else!"

"Oh yeah, you mean the rumors about infighting within the Jiang Sect?"

"Shhh! Someone will hear you!"

Lan Xichen releases his grip where he had grabbed Lan WangJi from approaching a gossiping pair of teens. The younger only glared, displeased, but Lan Xichen did not yield. He simply lowered his voice, "Giving a reaction will do no good. For anyone,"

And Lan WangJi hates how his brother is technically correct.

The sound of drums cut off the whispers and gossips.