Chapter 19: Bitter Sweets - part I

Jiang Cheng was slowly remembering how much he despised his life. Sure, he loves his parents, but they fought so much. Jiang Cheng had been living the life of a Sect Leader, so he understood certain days when his Father looked tired and just closed his eyes when Yu ZiYuan would begin to rant about something. But that was no excuse for both of his parents to not sit down and realize that the way they treat one another is directly affecting the way their three children grow up.

Yes, three.

Jiang Cheng had been thinking for a while now, and he had a small suspicion his mother didn't completely hate Wei WuXian. After all, how would it be possible for Jiang Cheng to continue to wield Zidian if his entire spiritual energy belonged to Wei WuXian?

Zidian was a spiritual tool! It worked off spiritual energy and had masters because of their spiritual energy. It stopped working when Jiang Cheng lost his core, but when he was given Wei WuXian's, Zidian responded easily.

This was a theory of Jiang Cheng's, but he wanted to get it confirmed. Which meant he had to talk with his mother. Which was...actually quite easy. Yu ZiYuan had been oddly calm. Very calm that it made everyone at Lotus Pier on edge. Jiang Cheng knew the most affected was Wei WuXian, who had been performing his head disciple duties diligently, and not causing much trouble.

"SHIT!" Wei WuXian's voice suddenly burst into Jiang Cheng's room, the door slamming shut behind him with a pale face.

Jiang Cheng had been meditating to cultivate his core. But he stopped the moment he saw the panic in the silver eyes, "What's wrong?"

"I'm dead," Wei WuXian squeaked.

"Why?" Jiang Cheng stood up and then froze as he heard his Mother's voice echo from outside the door.

"WEI WUXIAN!!!!!"

Jiang Cheng lowered his voice into a whisper, pulling his brother away from the door and locking the door with a talisman, "What did you do?"

"It was an accident, a complete accident! I didn't know the disciples had a test today!" Wei WuXian covered his face, "I'm screwed! I'm screwed! She's just waiting for me to fuck something up!"

"A-Xian, tell her the truth," Jiang Cheng offered, frowning deeply.

He never remembers his brother being this afraid of his mother. Hell- he never remembers Wei WuXian being afraid of his Mother! He was just wary with her and tried to act obedient, but never, NEVER, was he like this.

"When does the truth ever work?" Wei WuXian hissed at him and Jiang Cheng felt his eyes widen.

"Why didn't you tell anyone the truth?" Jiang Cheng stared at his brother with a frown, "W-Why didn't you try and tell me about my- your- our core?"

Wei WuXian looked at him and laughed bitterly, "Truth? When has anyone trusted my words! I'm the Yilling Patriarch, Jiang Cheng! The evilest of evils! Someone who should be dead! A demonic cultivator! The man who caused the death of everyone he loved! Who would ever trust a word from my mouth, when they had the glorious war hero, Jin Guangyao to turn to?!"

"I'll tell her," Jiang Cheng shook his head clear, "I'll tell her I requested you to-"

"A-Cheng. We were playing in the lake...I wasn't training them. I've been doing what you said with the extreme stuff and the whole preparing for a war thing you desperately wanted, so I wanted to give them a break..." Wei WuXian's face broke into defeat.

Jiang Cheng blinked and he cursed. He pursed his lips and tried, "Well she's been in a decent mood-"

"A decent mood?" Wei WuXian laughed, "A-Cheng, she's just waiting for Lan Zhan and Xichen-Ge to leave so she can say everything she wants to say!"