Chapter 9: The Lan Family - part I

Lan Xichen's movement's stilled. Lan WangJi swallowed nervously, watching as his older brother stared blankly. The silence was heavy, shattering with a sputter, "You- What?"

Lan WangJi looked down, "I want to talk to Father. I want to know Father...not the man everyone tells us about. Our father..."

"Oh, A-Zhan..." Lan Xichen exhaled deeply, eyes melting into sadness, "I never thought you'd ever..."

"I know," Lan WangJi muttered, guilt ridden, "Huan Ge, would he want to talk to me?"

Lan Xichen smiled softly, reaching forward and placing his hands over his brother's, "A-Zhan, I think Father will be pleased. We can go right now and tell Uncle-"

"I do not want to tell Uncle," Lan WangJi hung his head deeper, "I have been avoiding him since the change between Wei Ying and I has been...noticeable,"

"Oh, it's obvious," Lan Xichen muttered in agreement.

"Ge!"

"Sorry, sorry," Lan Xichen chuckled, shaking his head, "We can mention your relationship another time then, perhaps after this waterborne abyss is dealt with. But we can't go to the Hanshi without Uncle's knowledge. Do not worry, I will make sure Uncle understands,"

Lan WangJi nodded, standing up with his brother. The twin Jade's left the Jingshi, walking towards the Elegance Hall. When they arrived, they bowed to Lan Qiren, who had been reading. The male looked up, eyes flickering between the two nephews, "You have something to ask me?"

Lan WangJi glanced at his brother, the older giving a nod and a smile. Inhaling, Lan WangJi stepped forward and bowed again, "Uncle, I want to request something?"

"Yes, what is it?" Lan Qiren asked slowly, unsettled by the hesitation.

Lan WangJi stayed in the salute position, closing his eyes and saying, "Uncle, I want to go and talk to Father,"

There was a beat of silence. Lan WangJi glanced towards his Uncle, who had frozen, staring at Lan WangJi like he was mad. And suddenly, Lan WangJi knew he probably should have just gone without telling his Uncle.

"You...want to meet...your father?" Uncle repeated slowly.

Lan WangJi straightened up, "Yes,"

Displeasure took over Lan Qiren's face. Lot's of displeasure and anger. Lan WangJi gulped, hearing his brother suck in a breath. Lan Qiren closed his eyes, but the anger was evident in his strict tone, "WangJi, why would you want to do that? Even Xichen doesn't go unless it's extremely important!"

Lan WangJi stood his ground, "I want to go and meet Father,"

"You're not going. You should be studying!" Lan Qiren scolded, "Helping out with this Waterborne abyss!"

"We can block out the lake from the rivers in Caiyi Town. Then, we can just dry the lake or use years of cleansing," Lan WangJi stated a solution and then added, "Uncle, I am going to see Father,"

"I just told you, no!"

"I am going whether or not I have permission!" Lan WangJi's eyebrow twitched, self-restraint keeping him from yelling, but not from arguing and talking back.

"A-Zhan!" Lan Xichen hissed in worry, while Lan Qiren snapped his eyes open, glaring viciously.

Lan WangJi took a step back from his Uncle, subconsciously moving towards his brother. The last time his Uncle had glared at him like that was just before the youngest Jade had been whipped Lan WangJi. Lan WangJi knew that it was that day the relationship between his Uncle and him had changed. That the perfect disciple Lan Qiren had raised had finally stopped trying to be perfect, focusing on what he thought was right and protecting the person he loved.