Chapter 95: Greed - III

(A/N: no, the image has practically nothing to do with the chapter...I just liked it)

Lan WangJi has always found his sect peaceful and soothing. Even now, he still got to do one of the things he enjoyed most, indulging in the young disciples and children, teaching them and helping them grow into the next generation of cultivators. Lan WangJi didn't change anything from his last life, he encouraged their curiosity, their questions. He didn't care if sometimes older disciples or other teachers glanced strangely at him. He knows the disciples under his care would flourish, just like they had before.

However, despite this, the atmosphere of Cloud Recesses wasn't soothing at all. It was rather tense as the internal disputes between the main clan and the Elders dragged on and the hypocritical cracks in their sects system began to grow. Lan WangJi once suggested to his father to just rewrite the wall of rules. The Elders had grown utterly furious at that and every minor infraction was punished with more harshness than needed. Lan WangJi made sure to keep his opinions to himself after that, or to a private conversation.

While the gradual work of stripping away their power was working, Lan WangJi couldn't help but be tense every time he heard his father and brother were in another meeting. His brother's smile had been becoming more and more tired and strained, and a frustrated aura was looming around his father in a way that suited Lan Qiren more.

Lan WangJi sat at his desk, looking through papers of his students and grading them. He paused when he sensed the wards of the jingshi being breached by a familiar spell, a message flying through the open window and landing in front of them. Lan WangJi places the papers down and picks up the message raven, listening to the message from Jiang Cheng.

His eyes widened, "Jin ZiXun got the hundred hole curse and A-Xian was accused..."

He listened in shock as Jiang Cheng explained the entire ordeal in detail, along with the harm that had been caused to the Jiang disciples. Lan WangJi frowned worriedly, knowing well that Wei WuXian was probably taking on guilt from the entire matter. At the end, he glanced at the pouch that had flown in with the raven, the Stygian Tiger Amulet inside.

"A-Xian gave me permission to send it to you for a while. He looked a little too eager to let it out of his sight. He's not taking this well at all. When you can, you should visit him. Or write to him!"

Lan WangJi reminded himself to take a trip to Yunmeng soon. As the message finished, Lan WangJi sent his own back with the information regarding Su She. Su She had been the one to cast the curse last and it was done under the orders of Jin Guangyao, but Meng Yao was still a part of the Nie Sect and he had already been accepted as a part of the Jin Clan by Madam Jin and Jin ZiXuan. So it couldn't have been him at all.

And also, Su She, for some reason, was still part of the Lan Sect. He hadn't left to create the MolingSu sect yet. Lan WangJi thought about this. He supposed it did make sense as Su She did not have the support of any Lianfeng Zun nor the funding to create a sect at all. It was, after all, Jin Guangyao that funded many of Su She's sect's work and creation, further buying the man's loyalty.

Lan WangJi also did not interact with Su She much at all due to their different statuses. Su She was nothing more than an outer disciple, while Lan WangJi was the second heir of the main clan. No matter how much he wanted too, Lan WangJi couldn't approach the man either. Regardless of his lack of social skills, it would only raise the man's suspicion. Especially considering Lan WangJi had had no qualms about showing his distaste for the man when they had been younger.

He does, after the letter, adjust his strolls to go past the outer disciple quarters just to see if he can check in on the man or catch sight of him. Its rare and the few times he does see Su She, the man is reading something with great concentration.