Chapter 76: To Shoot Down the Sun - part II

Wei WuXian walked into a tent without announcing himself. Instead, he just trudged in and headed towards the meditating cultivator in white. Again, remaining silent, Wei WuXian sat himself down and wrapped his limbs weakly around the body, inhaling the scent of sandalwood.

Lan WangJi opened his eyes feeling the sudden weight on his lap and body. Knowing exactly who it was, he embraced the younger back, easily rising to his feet, Wei WuXian remaining in the same position like a panda clinging to bamboo.

"Wei Ying,"

"Hm?"

"Tired?"

"Mn,"

"Do you want to stay here with me?"

"Yes, please,"

Lan WangJi kept one hand supporting the black-robed cultivator and the other pulling back the covers and gently sitting Wei WuXian down. Lan WangJi silently bent down, helping the other out of his boots and outer robes, Wei WuXian half asleep the entire time.

Lan WangJi smiled amused, sending a butterfly to Jiang Cheng to inform him of Wei WuXian's whereabouts. Then, he got onto the cot, pulling up the covers and Wei WuXian rolling to curl up beside Lan WangJi.

"...Lan Zhan?" Wei WuXian called softly.

"Mn?"

"What if Wen Ruohan hurt Qing-Jie?" Wei WuXian mumbled, "W-what if the amulet isn't strong enough? What if-"

Lan WangJi gently lifted Wei WuXian's chin to look at him, "Wei Ying, Lady Wen just communicated with us earlier today and the amulet is plenty strong,"

Wei WuXian fisted the white robes, "But- but- what if it doesn't work?"

"What do you mean?" Lan WangJi was confused, "You've been testing the amulet out,"

"I know, but what if something goes wrong?"

Lan WangJi paused, "Why would something go wrong?"

Wei WuXian didn't answer this time. Instead, he pursed his lips and muttered, "Lan Zhan, you told me demonic cultivation harms the mind and body...how would it do that?"

Lan WangJi's senses went on alert and he searched for the other's wrist, taking his pulse quickly, "I'm not sure about specifics, but why? Did something happen?"

Wei WuXian swallowed, "When a cultivator progresses and continues their skills, the golden core grows, correct?"

"Yes..."

"Then...what if its the same for demonic cultivation, except without the core? The more I use it, the more I master it and get more skilled at controlling it. My skills in demonic cultivation improve and I get stronger as times goes on. And as I get stronger, I begin to be able to do more and more things," Wei WuXian theorized hesitantly.

Lan WangJi thought about this and nodded slowly, "I suppose that would make sense...why are you asking? Has something happened to you?"

"I think my power is growing..." Wei WuXian whispered, "Ever since we made the amulet, its like I got a jump,"

"That's good, isn't it?"

"Yes, but...but what if they don't like it..."

The they referred to the cultivation world. Lan WangJi kissed him softly, "I will be with you, no matter what happens,"

Wei WuXian smiled softly and nodded, nuzzling into the crook of the olders neck, "I know,"

"They can try, but you are not alone," Lan WangJi hugged the latter protectively, the two of them humming their song together and drifting to sleep.