Chapter 29: Wilting Lotuses

The self sacrificing attitude.

The way his brother panicked when he realized he was in love with the Second Jade of Lan.

The isolation after Yu ZiYuan spoke about the engagements.

The alcohol addiction.

The recklessness.

The reason resentment had accepted him so easily.

The choice of defection and golden core transfer.

The fear of walking out of Lotus Pier and Cloud Recesses before the time travel.

The ignorance to all the rumors.

The self depreciation.

The broken laughter at Nightless City.

The smile Wei WuXian gave Jiang Cheng when the backlash happened.

Everything made so much sense, Jiang Cheng felt his heart shatter. His tears fell faster than ever as he stared at his brother with pain and realization, which his brother saw. And Jiang Cheng knew that Wei WuXian realized that Jiang Cheng figured it out.

"I'm an idiot..." Jiang Cheng choked, "You...you..."

Wei WuXian swallowed and glanced at the other three, who hadn't understood. How could they? They hadn't lived the life this Jiang Cheng had. They hadn't lost everything and everyone. They hadn't indirectly killed a man, who had been so ready to die since they were this young.

'Wen Qing was a doctor...she must've known...but that was after the war...surely, someone must've known before her...'

'Impossible. A-Jie hadn't known...I didn't even notice anything. No one could've known...and if they did...after demonic cultivation, no one would have cared...'

"A-Xian, you..." Jiang Cheng took a step towards the boy, "You really have tried to-"

Wei WuXian looked at him with a guilty gaze before flicking the gaze towards Jiang Yanli who whispered, "A-Cheng...what..."

"I'm tired of my parents silently killing you..." Jiang Cheng repeated hoarsely, staring straight at Wei WuXian, who grimaced and finally spoke, "I haven't done anything...just...ventured towards the gate..."

"Trying to end your life isn't a gate you should be going towards!!!" Jiang Cheng's voice broke and the three others in the room all paled, snapping their eyes towards the senior disciples, who clenched his fists and stared straight at the ground.

"A-Xian..." Jiang Yanli walked forward, whimpering, "A-Xian? You've...XianXian..."

"It was once, okay!" Wei WuXian looked like he would rather be anywhere else, avoiding their eyes completely, "And I haven't...I haven't done anything...too bad..."

"What does that mean? You've tried to die?" Jiang Fengmian muttered.

"No!" Wei WuXian looked at him and then winced, "Yes- maybe, technically- I don't...I've almost died a bunch of times, who cares!?"

"I CARE YOU FUCKING-" Jiang Cheng inhaled sharply and let out a bitter laugh.

And he kept laughing, holding his head until he began to just sob. He collapsed to the ground, almost collapsing to the ground. On instinct, both Wei WuXian and Jiang Yanli were at his side. Jiang Cheng grabbed Wei WuXian, collar, sobbing into the elder's chest, "W-Wei WuX-Xian! I have told you over and over again...d-don't be reckless. I ha-hate it when you get hu-hurt, yet I have allowed you to get h-hurt and a-almost kill yourself in our home!"

"No, no," Wei WuXian's voice broke, "It's not your fault, good heavens A-Cheng, its my fault for being stupid,"

"No! It's everyone's fault for making you feel stupid!!" Jiang Cheng shrieked, turning around to stare at his parents. He sniffled, grabbing both Wei WuXian and Jiang Yanli before straightening up. He was shaking, but he had some last things to say, ignoring the faces of his parents.