Chapter 39: The Red Letter

"Mother, Father, is everything all right?" Jiang Cheng walked towards one of the many covered docks at Lotus Pier. It had a dark green roof, with gold painted designs and the YunmengJiang Sect banner at the top, supported by the light colored wood. Underneath was a simple seating area with a round stone table and five seats.

His parents had told the three children to meet for lunch here, out of the blue. Jiang Yanli and Wei WuXian would arrive soon, but Jiang Cheng had a bad feeling so he decided to come a bit earlier. His parents were already seated, and the dark look on his Mother's face made something in him drop.

"Is this about the QishanWen Sect taking over all the neighboring night hunting lands and destroying small sects?" Jiang Cheng asked, sitting down.

"No," Yu ZiYuan mumbled, "but it is about them,"

Jiang Cheng had an idea of the coming conversation, turning his head as he heard Wei WuXian's laughter. He smiled seeing his older siblings walk together down the docks and towards them. Jiang Yanli smiled when he saw him, Wei WuXian grinning and giving a huge wave.

A wave of nostalgia rushed through him.

For years he had been seeing nightmares of his siblings only walking away from him. Turning away and covered in blood. But now, they were alive and clean, walking towards him with the most wonderful smiles in the world.

Wei WuXian sat in between his older and younger siblings as always, Jiang Yanli seated beside her mother. Wei WuXian cheered when he saw the dumplings and meat dishes, along with some roasted Lotus Roots dunked in spicy sauce.

"I'm hungry," Wei WuXian muttered, taking the chopsticks and serving some food in the bowl in front of him, beginning to eat happily.

The four smiled at that, recalling all the times they had to force the kid to eat so he wouldn't collapse. Jiang Cheng began to eat as well, until finally saying, "So, Mother, Father, what did you want to tell us?"

"The QishanWen Sect has sent us an invite," Jiang Fengmian sighed, "They're asking for 20 disciples, including our heir, to come to Qishan for an indoctrination. And If we don't send them, they'll come and personally take them,"

Wei WuXian froze and Jiang Yanli gasped, eyes wide, "Does Da-Ge and Er-Ge know?"

Da-Ge, was Nie MingJue. A few weeks ago, Nie MingJue, Lan Xichen, and Jiang Yanli, who had been given the beautiful title of MingLong Yi* by the people of Yunmeng, had become sworn siblings. Nie MingJue was the eldest of the three, gaining the title of Da-Ge, from the other two. Lan Xichen was the next in age, Jiang Yanli addressing him as Er-Ge. Wei WuXian, Jiang Cheng, Lan WangJi, and Nie Huaisang had also been requested to address the other two siblings as siblings. So, all of them addressed Nie MingJue, Da-Ge. Jiang Yanli, Jie (Wei WuXian still called her Shijie and Jiang Cheng A-Jie). And Lan Xichen was still being addressed as Huan Ge from Lan WangJi, while the other three boys called him Er-Ge.

Yu ZiYuan nodded, "The invite was sent to every sect,"

Jiang Yanli shook her head in disbelief, "So A-Cheng and I have to go?"

"No way," Jiang Cheng disagreed, "You should stay here. I'll go, as I'm the heir. Plus, I have a good reason to believe that the QishanWen Sect won't be reasonable during this. Since we're basically being forced to become prisoners, there's no way we'd be allowed our spiritual weapons. They'll definitely confiscate our swords,"

Jiang Fengmian looked at his son with a thoughtful expression and nodded, "I would not be surprised. I will send out a warning to all the sects to have their disciples bring false swords and leave their personal ones at home, just in case. That means, MingJue should probably have Huaisang keep his spiritual fans at QingHe..."