Chapter 98: A Distant Voice - I

It's easier than he'd imagined.

It was so incredibly easy to extract and collect information. It was easy to memorize them and write them down in the journal that was now permanently carried with him. It was a precaution he didn't realize he had to take. A close call when Jiang Cheng had spotted it and didn't recognize the cover. Wei WuXian had distracted him easy enough.

The journal was a crucial element of his investigation for it was the only thing keeping him out of suspicion. He knew he should feel guilty, and he did. He wasn't heartless about this. He just had a bigger goal in mind that would not be reached if he wallowed on small emotions.

That being said...it was still hard to pretend.

"Tomorrow?" Jiang Fengmian repeated, "Ah, I'll be out dealing with that troublesome block in the river,"

"It's a bit far isn't it, uncle?" Wei WuXian responded smoothly, "It would take a couple hours,"

"At the least," Jiang Fengmian sighed with a smile, "But I suppose it is my job,"

Wei WuXian laughed, before excusing himself to find his next target for building tomorrow's schedule. If he had enough time, there was no reason to prolong the bullseye. The bullseye which was nothing more than the sect leader's personal study.

He was fully prepared to start investigating the following day as he had already canvassed the office twice before on short visits. He knew where he should search and where he should avoid wasting his time. He knew that the small room was limited in space as it served as a typical office. A singular wooden desk in the center, a purple rug leading up to it from the door. Behind the desk and chair was a wall of shelves and with boxes, books, and trinkets. To the left of the door after entering was a high table and a large daybed, which served more as a chair and an occasional lounge when some closer acquaintances were inside.

All in all, there was not many areas one to look, but it was such a private and significant room that it was discredible to ignore.

His heart twisted and his eyes dimmed slightly. Once again, the doubt was there. Should he really do this? Hadn't it been fine living in ignorance of whatever had happened all those years ago? Plus, even if he did know, it would never bring his parents back.

And yet...

The longing of his heart came roaring, drowning the doubt with barely a second of hesitation.

He walked around Lotus Pier, smiling and greeting to those who passed. He inquired a little about the senior disciples schedules if he came across a few, but he had already checked their routines a the day before. He found Jiang Cheng after turning a corner, the younger boy muttering himself and hardly paying attention to where he was going.

"A-Cheng?" Wei WuXian called, slightly worried.

Jiang Cheng looked up and at once his eyes brightened, as if an idea had just hit him. Wei WuXian felt a foreboding feeling in his gut.

"A-Xian! Just the person I was looking for," Jiang Cheng said smoothly and Wei WuXian stared at Jiang Cheng, not bothering to hide his unease at the extremely friendly manner.

Nonetheless, he managed a response, "Oh? What for?"

Jiang Cheng wavered a bit, looking away awkwardly. A light pink hue began to dust his cheeks and Wei WuXian's foreboding was replaced with a teasing fire. Slowly, a smile crawled onto his face, "What in the world could my dear little shidi need from his shixiong?"

Jiang Cheng's cheeks turned a darker shade, glaring at his brother, "Shut up!"

Wei WuXian laughed, "You were the one who wanted to talk to me!"