Chapter 44: Holding Back

Lan WangJi awoke at five like usual, checking his surroundings at the heavy stench of blood and animal, he saw the passed out wolf. He stared at it for a few seconds as the memory of the day before trickled in. Breaking the gaze, he glanced to his right, where Wei WuXian leaned against him, lips in a small pout and eyes closed.

Lan WangJi smiled, the sight of Wei WuXian looking so peaceful enough to distract him from their red stained robes. Turning his head, Lan WangJi gave a gentle kiss on Wei WuXian's forehead, smiling when the other released a delicate sigh and moved closer. Knowing his soulmate was alright, Lan WangJi turned his eyes away and kept a watchful eye on the wolf, thinking about when Wen Chao would return.

He'd have to remove the needles before Wen Chao returned, not wanting to get Wen Qing or Wen Ning into any trouble. Sighing, Lan WangJi decided they had a few hours, recalling the schedule for the day before. Frowning, he looked at Wei WuXian, reaching over and shaking the younger softly, "Wei Ying,"

Nothing.

Lan WangJi sighed, knowing this itself would take an hour especially with their wounds and the amount of fear Wei WuXian was in yesterday.

He shook the other and kept calling his name, earning a few groans and tired mumbles. Not giving up, Lan WangJi kept at it, trying to wake the younger up. As he expected, it was only an hour later when the eyes finally opened, looking at Lan WangJi exhausted and with a pout, "Five more minutes,"

"Wei Ying, we're in a dungeon, with a wolf, and Wen Chao will come at any moment," Lan WangJi reminded.

Wei WuXian's eyes were wide open at the word wolf, sitting up and snapping his eyes towards the knocked out animal. He squeaked, pressing himself closer to the other, who didn't mind, "Let us meditate for a bit. Then, when we hear Wen Chao coming, I'll go and remove the needles,"

"N-no," Wei WuXian denied, "Let it stay like that,"

"If we let it stay like that and Wen Chao finds it like that, Lady Wen and Young Master Wen Ning will be in trouble," Lan WangJi informed.

Wei WuXian blinked and then sighed, "You're right...okay, let's meditate..."

The two of them sat in Lotus Pose, closing their eyes and meditating. Their cores pulsed with spiritual energy, flowing through their nerves and towards their injuries, which were already mostly healed. It was silence in the room, both males realizing how much their bodies needed this.

"Wei WuXian, Lan WangJi!" A voice called from outside the door and the two boys opened their eyes, "are you both still breathing? How many legs do you have left?"

Wei WuXian moved towards the corner near the door, leaning against the wall, while Lan WangJi hurried over to the wolf. Pulling out all three needles, he turned back towards Wei WuXian, only now realizing how awful the two of them must look. Messy hair, blood stains, and sweat glistening. Lan WangJi moved towards the younger, sitting down beside him and holding him close to his chest as the wolf opened its eyes and let out a soft snarl and bark.

The door opened and Wen Chao walked in, looking towards the wolf, which was now awake and sitting up, then surveying the room. He looked almost smug, until he spotted the two crouched together by the corner near the door, alive. Lan WangJi gave him a glare, which looked much more menacing with the pristine white robes having streaks of red.

Wen Chao sighed, looking towards the wolf walking closer, "You can't even take meat when its right in front of you. I guess we feed you too much...piece of trash,"

Wei WuXian let out a breath, looking up at the young master, "Wen Chao, what kind a person are you to let a beast fight your fight?"

Wen Chao turned slowly, looking at the two of them with a very offended glare. Wei WuXian smirked, "If you have the spine, let's fight. One on one,"