Daddy's Home.

Calum: “Daddy!” you hear her squeal. She must have heard a car driving past again. He had been gone a while now, and everyday she sat at the window for as long as you would let her, watching for him, wishing on her luckiest stars that he would be home before she went to bed. “Come on sweetie, it’s time for bed. Daddy will be home eventually.” you say, the last few words coming out a sigh. “But mommy, daddy’s here!” she says making you frown. “Sweetie he’s not, I talked to him just a little while ago.” you say walking from the kitchen to the living room where she usually perched, waiting. But to your surprise she was there in Calum's arms, her arms craning his neck so she could kiss his cheek. “I missed you daddy.” she says as he smiles, kissing her head “Daddy’s home now, sweetie, daddy’s home.” he smiles looking up at you, then returns to kissing her head over and over.

Michael: "When’s daddy coming home?" He asks again for the millionth time today, just like everyday Michael was at the studio. Your five year old son just wanted to play with his dad, and waited consistently until he comes home so they could play. "He should be here soon buddy." you say, looking up from your book. Even though you offered, he didn’t like to play with anyone but Michael. A few minutes later he squealed and ran outside just like he always did when he saw Michael’s black mustang pulling up in the driveway. As you watch from the window, Michael greets him with a smile and a hug, then lets him sit in the drivers seat for a few minutes as he honks the horn and makes the windsheild wipers move back and forth. Next, he runs back in with Michael’s hat, or beanie, depending on the weather, covering his eyes as he yelled "Daddy’s home! Daddy’s home!" Michael follows a few moments later, smiling "Daddy’s home." before engulfing you in a hug and kiss, then goes outside to play, fulfilling your son’s wishes.

Ashton: “Daddy? You’re my Daddy?” she asks as she stares into his eyes, a mirror of her own. He nods not really knowing what to say. It wasn’t his fault he didn’t know about your daughter. There was no one to blame, just a lack of trust and a good helping of judgement. Ashton had split up with you a few years back and you had raised the child he never knew about. Slipping under the radar, the media forgot about you as you hoped he did. But after countless times of her coming home from school crying because the other kids made fun of her for not having a daddy. You were left with only one choice; tell Ashton about her and let him choose what to do. You missed him of course, but if he didn’t then there was really nothing you could do. “You’re awfully beautiful.” he smiles, taking her in his lap, giving you a glance of guilt and sadness. “Daddy, are you leaving again?” she asks and he bites his lip. “No sweetie. Daddy’s home. Daddy’s home for good.” he smiles at you, holding your daughter close.

Luke: "Daddy are you coming home soon?" She moans painfully into the phone you held up to her ear. She had gotten the flu, and the body aches were killing her. You told Luke that you could handle her, not wanting to make him take a day off of work to watch her when she would just be sleeping anyways. But she always liked to have Luke when she was sick. He made her laugh, rubbed her head, and sang any song she wanted to make her feel better. "I’m on my way now sweetie, just hang in there." you hear. He had given in, taking a half day when she began to text him, telling him how bad she felt. "Can you bring me something?’ she asks as he says "Sure baby girl, I’ll bring you something sweet." she smiles and hangs up as she does. He comes through the door a bit later, shouting "Daddy’s home!" she perks up a bit, smiling at you. He comes up. His boot clunking loudly on the steps, and peeks in her room holding a teddy bear and flowers. She thanks him and then cuddles into his chest as you sit beside her bed, listening to him sing, and after she’s fallen asleep he smiles at you, as you give a quiet thank you for the bear, flowers, and for coming home to comfort her.