96. BAD NEWS

With bleary eyes, Harrison wobbled towards the foyer. He wasn't the kind of guy to sulk, but it was hard to watch his boss in that state and thoughts that he wouldn't make it alive scared him, causing his heart to shatter into shreds. He held the flowers firmly with his hands as he walked into the living room.

Lena was dozing off on the couch, the television was on and loud. He walked in with quiet strides, lowering the volume of the television. Lena opened her eyes when the sound was low, she looked up to see Harrison towering over her.

"Harrison," she called, letting out a soft yawn.

"Good evening, ma'am." He forced a smile, but it faltered before it reached his eyes. He extended the flowers to Lena, bending his head to avoid her eyes.

Lena got up, wondering if Harrison was trying to profess love to her. Did he forget that she wasn't Lisa and she was his boss's wife? She thought. "What's this?" She queried, moving her hand all over the bouquet in Harrison's hands.

"From the boss, he asked me to give them to you," Harrison responded, still not looking at her.

She narrowed his eyes at him, taking the flowers. She inhaled the scent of rose and smiled. "Where is Darian and what's with the flowers?"

"A gift for you, he told me to tell you that his feelings are the same." Harrison mouthed, watching as Lena hugged the flower to herself. If only she knew what was happening, he thought.

"Where is he?" Lena asked again.

"Not somewhere you want to know." He couldn't think of a better response to give to her. Darian lost consciousness before he told her what he had to respond with if Lena asked about him, but he was sure he wouldn't want Lena to know he was currently fighting for his life. "He will be back, wait for him." Harrison had plans of calling Jay to ask what he was supposed to tell Lena if she asked about the boss.

Lena shook her head, and a feeling of fear crept into her mind. "Did something happen to my husband?" She glared at Harrison, her eyes twinkling in worry, she was scared, something didn't seem right, she could feel it. "Where did he go? He said he wouldn't come home early and now you are here with flowers from him and telling me that I don't want to know where he is. What happened to Darian?" She dropped the flowers on the couch, turning to Harrison. Her eyes spotted bloodstains on his shirt, Lena's heart dropped when she saw the blood.

She walked closer to Harrison, gripping him as hard as she could. "Whose blood is this?" She asked, her heart thumping against her chest. She felt it would fall off. She knew well, her father told her that people gave their loved ones gifts when they were about to die. "Is Darian fine?" She clutched his arm. "Please, don't lie to me. What happened to my husband?" Tears dropped down her eyes, her eyes ogled Harrison's body and she saw more bloodstains, on his arms, his slacks, and his jacket. She hadn't noticed that before.

Harrison cussed at himself for not changing his clothes before coming to deliver the flowers to her. His mind was preoccupied, he had too many things going on, and he didn't even remember that he had to change his clothes. After Darian was rushed to the emergency room, his mind became blank.

"Talk to me, Harrison!" Lena yelled into his ears.

"He is fine," Harrison muttered.

The door pulled open to Jay and Harrison heaved a sigh of relief, he bowed his head, leaving them alone.

"Jay, where is my husband? You left with him this morning and you are not here with him." Tears were streaming down Lena's face as she walked towards Jay. They met in the middle of the living room, she sagged her shoulders and sniffled. "What's wrong with Darian?" She asked.

Jay pulled Lena into a hug to calm her before breaking the news to her. From what he saw, Darian was going to be in the hospital for a few days and there was no way he could keep that away from her, she deserved to know, she was his wife after all.

"The boss is alive," he said when he let go of Lena. "He's alive but…" He paused, looking at her to study the emotion on her face.

"What's the but all about?" She looked dead worried, her eyes were flickering around the room. He could see the fear that clouded her expression.

"He lost consciousness." Jay broke the news bitterly.

Lena drooped her shoulders, her heart sank immediately. She lost balance but he quickly held her before she could fall. That news completely broke her, she felt it, she knew something was wrong with him.

"He was shot, but he's receiving treatments at the family hospital right now. He lost so much blood." Jay shut his eyes, huffing a sigh, he shook his head.

Lena shook herself off Jay's hold, she fell to the couch and broke down in tears. "Will he live?" She asked in a shaky voice.

"I am sorry, ma'am. But we haven't gotten any report from the Doctors. He was rushed into the emergency room."

"Jay, please, tell me this is not happening to Darian." Lena straightened up. Shaking her head, she held onto Jay and wept bitterly. "Please," she choked on her words, and hot tears dropped down her cheeks. "Please, I."

Jay didn't know what to say. Darian had lost too much blood before he was rushed to the hospital. After the ambulance conveyed all the men to the hospital, he had gone back to check the emergency room to get a report from the Doctors, but there was none. He ordered Harrison to get the flowers home to Lena,  while he stayed behind to get a report, but there was none until he thought of Lena. He thought she'd be worried about Darian and he just had to see her.

"He will be fine," Jay said in an uncertain tone. He wasn't sure, no one was sure.

"Don't tell me that, Jay. I want to see him now!" Lena yelled. "Take me to the hospital right now."

"No, you can't go there in this state." Jay tried to hold her back, but she pushed him away.

"If you don't take me there this minute, I will go there myself." She was crying so hard, her words were unclear and her heart was beating too hard.

"I will take you to him." Jay surrendered. "Come with me," he said, leading the way out of the living room.

Lena followed swiftly behind, silently praying that her husband was going to make it alive.

Faithy💓