3. THE WEDDING

The day was finally here. Lena and Lisa sat in her room while the makeup artist did the last touches on Lena's face, giving herself a satisfactory smile. She turned to Lisa and said, "Done, ma'am!" Then she started to pack her things into the makeup box.

"I don't think this is necessary," Lena told Lisa. She had rejected the makeup offer when Lisa suggested it to her, but Lisa didn't have it. She went ahead to bring the artist.

"It is, you look so pretty, and I'm sure he would go crazy once he sets his eyes on you today." Lisa giggled, standing from where she was seated. She strode over to where Lena was sitting and cradled her already-styled hair.

"I don't want to do this." Lena just realized that after the wedding today, she won't be coming back to her father's house. She was so scared it could be a bad one. "I'm so nervous. I don't want to live with a man I don't know."

"This is the crossroad, Lena. We can't go back anymore. We either take a cross, or we stop at a standstill." Lisa caressed her back and kissed her forehead. "You will be fine, trust me." She convinced her friend.

Lena didn't trust her friend's words. She could read the uncertainty in her voice and expression; she wiggled her head and stood up. She went towards the window in her overflowing white gown; Lisa had specially picked her wedding gown. Though Lena just wanted to make things simple, she didn't want to give Darian the impression that she was pleased to marry him even though he had dropped some money for them to make preparations.

Lena rubbed her temples in worry, sighing hard, her eyes roamed the room. She felt homesick already. She walked back to the bedside and stood, staring at Lisa.

Lisa monitored her friend's movement; her overly long gown flowed throughout the room, the slit that cut right to her knees revealed her well-toned legs, and her well-carved shoulders were shown in the dress; she had simple but expensive makeup on her face. She was so pretty that sometimes, Lisa wished she was a guy and Lena was his girlfriend.

She looked at her again and nodded at the choice of gown she made. She was proud of herself. Her slender figure fitted the dress perfectly well.

"You should take it easy, okay? The church program starts in an hour. We should brace ourselves for it." She told Lena.

"So, this is it? I'm getting married to that man!" She half yelled and was close to tears. "I don't want to do this. I'm so afraid." She held her best friend very tightly. "I don't want to do it, please help me."

Lisa patted her shoulders and hugged her. She could see the trepidation in Lena's countenance but there was nothing she could do to help her.

"I will be here for you, but Lena, don't ruin that perfect makeup with your tears." She pressed her lips together and shrugged her shoulders when Lena looked at her scornfully. She smiled and urged her to be okay.

They left the room afterwards, and Lena met her father, who sat in the living room casually dressed in a black suit.

He should be glad his daughter was getting married, but there was no smile on his face; he looked at Lena as she walked towards him —she looked so beautiful and innocent, her hair was curly and packed to the back, her long gown graciously flowed and she looked so perfect as she walked towards her father, holding the two sides of the gown with her fingers, she looked so beautiful, but there was no smile on her face.

"Lena?" He called once she was standing in front of him.

She looked away from him. Bowing her head, she waited for him to speak to her.

"I'm sorry. I hope you forgive me someday." He muttered in a gentle voice. He took her hands and kissed them softly.

"Will you be fine on your own? I just realized that I won't be coming back to this house after today." She sniffed, about to cry again. She still cared about him no matter what he did.