44. A TINY WOMAN LIKE YOU

Lena trudged up and down the casino pit, serving drinks to the men who were there to gamble. She had served four times now. As she went to get the last glass of liqueur, she halted at the bar counter, hand perched on her side. With bloodshot eyes, she glared at the man who poured the drink at the bar and questioned. "Where are the other hostesses?"

"I should ask you that, I am not one of you." The big man roared, his voice sounding like a sharp machete forcefully cutting irons.

"Whatever!" She stretched her neck and jerked a middle finger at the man before walking away with the glass of liqueur. She muttered some cuss words audible only to her hearing as she went on to serve the drink, she dropped the glass in front of the white-beard man that sat at the far edge of the table and faked a smile.

Lena was moving away from the old man who was in the process of harassing her. She warned him but the man persisted. He was about to grab her butt when a loud voice stopped him.

She heard footsteps echoing through the room, all eyes turned to the man coming toward them. He looked at Lena and motioned to her to come to his side.

"She's Don's wife, you can't molest her," Judson growled.

The white-beard man rose to his feet and apologized to Lena. She nodded her head in acceptance. He sat back, resuming the baccarat game he was playing with his friends.

Lena scurried to the hallway, lazily dragging her feet.  She was worked up and just wanted to rest for a while. She suddenly felt a hand on her shoulders, she looked up to see Judson grabbing her arms and pinning her to the wall.

"What are you doing?" She fought to free herself from his tight grip, but he held on tighter. "Let go of me. I swear, I'd report to Darian if you don't let me go this minute."

Judson chuckled, and he let go of her. She almost lost her balance, she took a look at her arms, and redness already formed on her skin. She grimaced, holding in the hateful words she so badly wanted to utter.

"This is the first time I am this close to you." Judson scanned the hallway with his eyes. "How are you, Lena?" He smiled harmlessly.

Lena scoffed, "What do you want from me?" She demanded.

"Aww, that's not how to say thank you to someone who just saved you from those bastards." He said in a mockery tone. "Who knows what they would have done to you if I didn't show up on time?" He took a step closer to her.

"I didn't ask for your help. I would have helped myself if you didn't show up." She fired back in contempt.

"I see, you are fierce, just as they spoke of you. Was this the reason Darian chose you to be his wife?" His lips quirked into a frown.

"You can ask him whenever you see him," she responded in a bored tone. "I have things to attend to."

"Lena, I came here to warn you though." His voice had changed from the cool one. It was now frigid with a bit of lethality in it.

"Warn me?" She was befuddled. "What have I done that warrants your warning?"

"Things were going on smoothly here in the casino before you showed up to shove your mouth into the women's affairs. Who gave you the right to confuse our women about what to do? Who said you could go about telling them to change their minds about working here at the casino?"

Lena laughed, "Oh, that's it?" She asked, unperturbed.

"What do you mean by that?" Judson squinted his brows.

Lena took a step closer to where Judson stood, she stopped right in front of him, looking directly into his orbs. "Is there something you are scared of? That your woman would find her purpose, work towards it and become someone great, greater than you?"