2. I WILL MARRY HIM

After Darian left the house with his chauffeur, Lena went to get her father new drugs from her money.

It was already late when she returned home. She gave the drugs to him and sat down when he was done taking his prescribed dosage.

She coughed out to attract his attention. Glancing at her father, she placed her hands on her chin. "Dad, who was that man?" She was ready to talk about it now. "And what was that whole nonsense he was spewing? I didn't understand anything. Could you please explain this to me? Properly this time." She demanded, swabbing her feet on the floor.

Her father heaved a long sigh. Shaking his head in pity, he stared at his daughter.

"He's Darian Dawson, the CEO of Darian's Holdings. He doesn't reverse his decisions, he speaks once, he's dreadful, and no one dares go against his will," Gavin replied to his daughter in a reserved tone.

 "How did you get involved with him, dad?" She continued with her questions.

He heaved a weary sigh, folding his arms together; he rested his back on the couch and shook his head in regret.

"I met him years ago," He began, "You were in school, and your mother just passed away; I got fired from work, and it was all hard for me. I took to drinking when I met some men. They were bad associates, but I felt like I needed them then. We would go to the club every night and gamble, and that was where I met Darian for the first time," he told his daughter. Pausing for a brief moment, he continued. "He was young and vibrant, and I envied him so much. Days after meeting him, my friends approached me and told me about a business I could involve in that would fetch me some money." He sighed again and sipped in some water from the can. "They told me I needed huge money to start the business and eventually cajoled me into lending some money from Darian because he was a regular at the club where we gambled."

Lena stared at her father surprisingly —she had no idea her father was into that shady stuff. When she lost her mother while in the uni, she had proposed the idea of coming back home to stay with him in Geneva, but he had opposed it and told her he was doing okay; she had no idea he was moving with bad friends.

"What happened after that?" She asked impatience laced in her soft voice.

"I approached him, and he challenged me to a pool game. I won, and he said he would lend the money to me, which he did."

"So, what did you do with the money?" She asked him again. "And how much was it?"

"A huge amount, a Hundred thousand dollars." He said, and Lena almost screamed; that was huge!

"That big money? What happened to it?"

"I gambled with some, and when it was time for me to invest, I didn't find my friends anymore. They left with all the money, leaving me in debt."

"Oh shit! Dad, how could you be so gullible to let anyone do that to you?" She was disappointed. 

"Yes, I was foolish. I agree, but the situation at hand now is that. . ." He paused again. "I need to pay back his money. He would make sure he throws me in jail if I don't." He panicked as he thought of ways to solve the payment, but nothing popped into his head.

"What do you plan to do, dad?" Lena inquired of her father.

"I don't know of anything, I have no money with me, and the only way is..." He stared at her, and she quickly abated his glance as it reached her. "Please, Lena, you have to do this for me." He begged her, "I'm weak, and going to jail would worsen things. He's a vicious man. He would render you homeless, throw me in jail and take everything from you. Please, consider all of this and help me."