38. I AM SORRY

38. I AM SORRY

Four days had passed and they were still keeping each other at arm's length. Lena couldn't bear the sharp pain she felt in her chest whenever Darian was around her. The silent treatment was killing her, she knew she had to talk things out with him.

Darian had been in the study room for over eight hours now. She had been waiting for him in the room, when he was taking more time than he used to spend in study, she left the room and hurried to meet him.

She barged in, slamming the door shut. Darian's eyes flickered towards her direction as she sauntered in, he twirled a pen in his hand and went back to what he was doing before she interrupted him.

"Is this how we are going to live, Darian?" She asked, anger slightly evident in her voice. "Are you going to keep ignoring me?"

"What do you want, Lena?" He avoided her eyes. He couldn't bring himself to look at her, not after what went down between him and Thelma. He regretted every moment he spent at Thelma's place cheating on Lena, he was angry and let his fury take the best of him, he shouldn't have done it. Seeing her made his heart clench, the guilt eating deep in his insides. But he masked the guilt with anger, pretending to still be mad at her for what she said to him.

"I want you to stop acting this way, Darian. I was wrong, but I apologised to you. I said I was sorry and I was. Darian, I will say it again, over and over again if that's what you want." She sighed sadly. "I am so sorry, sorry for what I said, I am sorry."

"You do things and you think just being sorry can solve it? The words you said were little, but do you know the gravity of those words? Do you know how I felt? You practically labeled me a cheat." He said, rubbing his temples in distress. He was a cheat, he cheated, he did. He sighed as his subconscious mind assaulted him. He didn't mean to, he didn't want to, she got him angry.

"I was wrong and I admitted to that," Lena said. "Why is it difficult to forgive me for what I said? I wouldn't take this far if you were the one who did the same–"

"I am busy, Lena." He cut her off.

"Don't tell me that. Why all these? Why can't we forgive each other if we are married? Is this how you want to go on? Treat me like I mean nothing to you?" She hit her fist on the desk, it hurt real bad but she shut her eyes to bear the pain.

"Lena, I need space. Don't you get it? I need time, I need space to think through, just let me be for now." He half-yelled at her.

Tears gushed out of Lena's eyes, "You need time and space? Darian, we were building a friendship." She said.

"Yes, we were until you ruined it. You ruined it, didn't you?"

"Why are you making this hard on me? We all make mistakes, don't we?" She asked, tears running down her eyes. "Why can't you forgive mine? Why is it so hard for you to forgive my mistake? Just this one mistake, just that one sentence that I uttered. Darian, why are you being hard on me?"

He drooped his head, the faint sound of her tears pierced his heart. He hated it when she cried, it hurt him too. He wasn't mad at her, he was mad at himself for letting her words get to him, he was mad at himself for cheating on her, he was mad at himself because he could not even look into her eyes anymore.

"You've been mad at me for days, you didn't even notice that yesterday was my birthday." Lena wiped the tears off her eyes. "You didn't know that I waited for you last night, I waited for you to show up so you could wish me well, but you never showed up. You've been ignorant of many things in our home. Just in four days, you've changed so much I don't even know who you are anymore. Is there something more than what I did? Is there something else you want me to apologize for that I don't know about? Darian, why are you torturing me?" Tears rolled down her cheeks again. She stared at him, but he had his eyes on the computer screen. "Tell me, Darian. What else do you want me to apologize for that I don't know about?"

"Why do you keep crying?" His voice was low and devoid of emotions.

"Because you make me cry, Darian."

Darian rose to his feet and paced the room, taking fast steps around the room. He ruffled his hair in confusion. Lena stood up, she walked closer and grabbed his arms before he could move away.

"I am sorry, Darian." She whispered, staring into his eyes.

Darian wanted to pull her closer and hug her tightly, he wanted to wipe the tears off her eyes and kiss her wet lips. He wanted to wrap her around himself and shield her with his arms, but he couldn't.

"Lena," he drawled, his eyes bloodshot. "Please, I want to be alone." He said to her.

"Darian, you are not still going to forgive me?" She asked disappointedly. Things had never been this sour between them. They've quarreled in the past and ignored each other, but it didn't hurt then as it did now. 

"I am not mad at you, I just need some time alone. I need some space and you should stop crying too." He told her.

She shook her head, wiping the tears off her eyes.

"I will leave if that's what you want."

Darian nodded his head, a bit relieved she understood him.

"Darian, take all the time and space you want. I will give you all, but I will never give up on us." With that said, she left the study, slamming the door the same way she did when she walked inside.

Darian crouched down on his armchair, digging his nails into his hair, he heaved an exasperated sigh and reached for his phone on the desk.

He dialed Thelma's number, waited for her to pick up the call, and after she did, he pressed the phone to his ear.

"Thelma, whatever happened between us that night was a mistake that I regret. Henceforth, only work-related matters should be discussed between us."

"Er, Darian, did something happen again?" Thelma asked over the phone.

"Thelma, I just said only work-related issues should be discussed between us. The fling we had was a mistake that won't repeat itself." He said and ended the call immediately.

He dropped the phone. Leaning backward on the armchair, he thought of his wife.

Faithy💓