56. COMPLICATED

The atmosphere in the waiting room was so tense as everyone present waited for the Doctors to come out and give a report about Gaius' health. It'd been four hours since he was rushed into the emergency ward and none of the Doctors was out yet.

Gaby consoled Talia by rubbing her back and saying words to assure her that her father was not going to die, but even she couldn't tell if he would die or not. His breaths had dwindled before they got to the hospital, he was barely talking to anyone even though his eyes were still open. They prayed that he would make it.

Darian stood there with his nails digging deep into his hair, he rubbed his eyes with his palm and started to pace the room. He wondered what they were doing to Lena; he knew those soldiers well, and they didn't go easy on any culprit. He grunted in exasperation, she couldn't have done that, she had no reason to poison Gaius. Did she do it to save him from losing to Gaius? He shook his head, that was gross. She had no reason to harm him.

"We should have been more careful when we were told we had enemies around." Judson squawked from across the room. "But we didn't know that Don's wife would turn out to be the enemy." His gaze travelled to Darian who had halted pacing the waiting room.

He glared at Judson, the muscles of his jaw clenching hard. He had the strong urge to punch Judson's face until he tasted blood, but he couldn't do that now, not when Talia was crying a river of tears and scared that her husband was dead. He was so dejected that he couldn't even look into her eyes to tell her Lena didn't do it.

Gaby looked at Judson, her expression was grim as if he was warning him not to say that about Lena. She held tighter onto her mother, rubbing her back to calm her.

One of the Doctors finally came out, and they all scrambled to meet him at the door.

Talia's hands were shivering as she held her daughter, with a shaky voice, she asked the Doctor. "How is my husband?"

"He was poisoned. Polonium poison was detected in his system," the Doctor said, adjusting the stethoscope that was hanging loosely on his neck. He dipped his hands into the pockets of his crisp white lab coat and looked at Talia. "We were able to flush out the poison, but he lost consciousness and fell into a coma."

The news of Gaius being in a coma shredded Talia's heart into a million pieces. "Doctor, will he survive?" She asked, her eyes were blurry with tears, she could hardly see the Doctor now. Her insides were hurting so badly, she didn't want to think of how life would be without her husband. She loved him too much to lose him, he had been with her since the days of her youth and she didn't want to lose him now. "Please don't lie to me, will he make it?"

The Doctor sighed, "We can't decide that for now," he patted Talia's shoulder. "He's in a coma and properly attended to, if he wakes from the coma, there is an assurance that he will survive, but for now, I can't decide that." He said, his eyes met with the disappointed faces that were in front of him.

Talia's shoulders started to shake as she sobbed, Gaby hugged her. She shut her eyes briefly. "Can we see him?" She demanded from the Doctor, knowing that was what her mother would want to ask if she wasn't sobbing too hard.

"No, you can't, he needs to be alone for now. I will let you know when you can see him," the Doctor told them. "If you'd excuse me I'd like to attend to other patients." With that, he left them alone.

"I can't even see him?" Talia looked up at her daughter and cried hard. Gaby couldn't contain the tears, she hugged her mother and they cried together. They remained in each other's arms as they cried their eyes out.

Darian wanted to hug them, he wanted to soothe them, but he was afraid they'd push him away.

-

-

-

Gaby and Talia stayed back at the hospital while Darian and Judson headed toward the hospital's parking lot. Darian knew the members of the Dawson family would be worried to death now, but that didn't matter to him. His wife mattered, she was everything on his mind as he walked with Judson to the parking lot.

"You accuse people of being evil but you fail to see that the real devil lives with you," Judson snarled, causing Darian to stop in his tracks.

He clenched his fists and said nothing to him.

"She's been locked up and would be severely tortured until she confesses to why she poisoned Gaius."

"She didn't poison him!" Darian yelled, turning back to glare at Judson.

"She's your wife and you'd take her side. I won't go easy with her, the soldiers will torture her without favouritism. I don't care if she's your wife, she will pay for harming a member of the Dawson family."

Darian flinched at his words, he hated that he couldn't do anything in that situation. He didn't want to think of the punishments they'd subject Lena to, he shut his eyes and shook his head. He had to see her, he had to see the state she was in, and he had to ask her a few questions.

"And you do know that you have no right to order her release. Anyone who tries to harm a member of the Dawson family house will be killed. She might as well be heading to that road that leads to death." Judson glared hard into Darian's eyes, both not breaking eye contact.

After a long time of glaring competition, Darian backed away.

"I will get her out, I promise you." Darian fumed, anger coursing through him.

"Let's see how you will do that," Judson burst into fits of laughter.

As Darian walked away from him, he glanced over his shoulder to look at Judson who was relishing in Lena's humiliation. He suspected him to have a hand in the poisoning.

Faithy💓