30. I AM HAPPY

30. I AM HAPPY

Lena gripped the doorknob in front of her; the last time she was here was five months ago—the day she got married to Darian. Everything around was still the same, she felt nostalgic as her eyelids flickered through the balcony. Simpering, she let go of the knob and resorted to tinkling the bells beside the door.

After two attempts, the door opened to a petite girl whom she recognized to be the maid.

"Good day, ma'am." The young lady couldn't hide her excitement when she saw Lena standing by the door.

"Hey—" Lena racked her head for the girl's name. She knew it, but couldn't remember what it was at the moment.

"Kayla," she helped Lena out. "I guess you don't remember my name anymore. It's fine, we've only met once. Are you here to see your dad?" Kayla opened the door widely for Lena to enter the house. "He will be so happy to see you, he's always talking about you." She walked Lena to one of the couches and went inside to get her father.

Lena rested her back on the couch. Patiently waiting for her father to show up. She studied the whole house and noticed a few new things like the frayed couches have been replaced with new leathered ones, and the media set was now bigger and occupied more stuff than the old one.

The living room was more decent than she used to remember. She knew Darian did that, he had even offered to buy her father a house but Gavin didn't let him do that.

"Is she someone I want to see?" Gavin asked when they were in the living room. He had a blindfold on his eyes, Kayla grasped his hand and giggled like a child.

"Someone you've always talked about," Kayla responded.

"Is she Lena? Lena is the only one I want to see right now." Gavin said.

His words melted her heart, she rubbed her chest and signalled to Kayla to remove the blindfold. She did, Gavin turned around, his eyes meeting with his daughter's. He flinched when he saw Lena.

"Lena!" He yelled after trying to process and believe she was the one sitting on the couch. He had never thought she'd remember him again. He tried to hug her but she pulled back.

Kayla pursed her lips, not too pleased with Lena's reactions. She stood in front of her and asked. "What can I offer you?"

"You don't have to bother about that, I am good." Lena feigned a smile.

Kayla nodded her head, she looked at her boss. When she was sure he'd be fine with his daughter around, she left them alone.

"How have you been?" Lena asked her father when Kayla was gone.

"Not good, you didn't want to talk to me," Gavin muttered guiltily.

"I just didn't know what to say to you, Dad." She viciously stared into his eyes. "I came here to check on you and let you know that I have nothing against you. Lisa told me you called and you were all about the place, telling her that I don't want to talk to you."

"Lena, it's obvious you are still mad at me," Gavin said in a low voice. "When will you forgive me for the things that I did to you?"

"Dad, I forgave you a long time ago. I just needed my own space all this while and that's why I have not been talking to you." Lena told him. They held each other's gazes for a split second. Lena saw the regrets in her father's eyes, she saw the pains those eyes housed and she felt so bad for blaming him all this while when it wasn't his fault.

"Lena," the old man called. "When I lost your mother, you became the only one I had in the world. And your happiness became my priority, but I was foolish for letting friends mislead me, I was just living recklessly and didn't even think about you even when you meant everything to me." His voice cracked, she looked at him and saw his moist eyes. She detected upcoming tears but promised not to let those tears fall; she'd planned to hold him before the tears would spill.