59. ALIVE!

Darian glimpsed Talia where she was leaning against the wall of the hallway with her phone pressed to her ear, she swiftly talked and ended the call afterward. She rubbed her aching head and placed her hand on her jaw, the look on her face wasn't bright, he shook his head, knowing that she was still brooding over Gaius' condition.

He walked up to her, "Talia," he called in a low voice.

"Oh Darian, you are here." She sighed.

"Yes, how is he? Is there any improvement yet? It's been five days." He said.

"Yes, it's been five days and he's stuck in that bed, his eyes are still closed and he can't even talk to me." She let out sniffles. "I am hopeless, Darian. I don't want to lose my husband."

"You won't lose him," he pulled her into an embrace. As he wrapped Talia in his shoulders, he contemplated asking her about the glass cup that was always kept in her office. It'd been two days since Amy told him about it and he was yet to ask because he didn't want to hurt her, but then he didn't want to stall, his wife was dying too. He had to make haste to prove that Lena was innocent. He let go of Talia and looked into her eyes. "Talia, there is a question I'd like to ask you."

"What's that?" She asked him.

"Amy told me that Gaius uses a different glass cup for occasions like the game day. And she said the cup was always kept in your office." Darian was doing his best to make the question sound nice to her. He didn't want her to get mad at him. Talia had been a mother figure to him and he loathed that he was doing this, but he had to do it to save his wife.

"The cup was a present from me, he'd been keeping it for years." She told Darian.

"Do you realize that same cup was used to serve him that day?" He looked into Talia's eyes. She didn't flinch, her eyes were still watery from unshed tears.

"Yes, I do. What about it?"

"Talia," Darian called.

"Wait, are you trying to accuse me of poisoning my husband? Darian?" She clasped her hands together and opened her mouth in shock. "Of all the people in the world. Do you think that I'd poison Gaius? I am disappointed." She moved an inch away from him.

"Talia," he attempted to touch her, but she shook her shoulders off. "I am not accusing you, I just want to know some things." He said in a reserved tone. "Please, understand what I am trying to do here."

"There is nothing you are trying to do here but to wrongly accuse me of a crime I didn't commit. Why do you think the cup was poisoned? What about the wine, couldn't she have poisoned the wine too?" Talia yelled at Darian.

His jaw dropped when Talia said those words.  He was disgruntled Talia didn't trust Lena. "You believe she did that too?" He scoffed, shaking his head as his eyes rested on Talia.

"Anyone could have done it and at this point, I don't think I trust anyone anymore." She folded her arms against her chest.

Darian was speechless, he searched for the right words to say, but none occurred to him. He was still trying to get over Talia's words when Gaby came out yelling, she ran toward her mother and gripped her hand.

"Dad just moved his hand. Mom, come with me." She hauled Talia away before she could process her words. Darian followed behind them.

The Doctors and nurses were already gathered in the room when they got there. One of the Doctors turned to Talia and smiled. "He made it," he said to her. "He still has to regain his strength but for now, he's back to life."

Talia couldn't contain her joy, she slipped in between the Doctor and Nurse. Standing in front of Gaius, she kissed his cheeks. "You scared me so much, I thought I'd lose you." She hugged his head and kissed him all over.

"We will be back to give his treatments," the medical team left them alone.

Darian was relieved Gaius was back to life, he looked at the old man who looked so pale as he blinked his eyes. His vision was blurry and he was trying to recognize everyone in the room.

"Dad," Gaby smiled. "How do you feel? We were so worried about you. Mom and I have cried so much." She leaned down to peck his cheeks. "We are so happy you're back alive."

Gaius smiled, his brows furrowed. When he saw Darian, his smile faltered.

"Darian," he called, trying to move his back. Talia supported him by placing his back on the wall. "I am alive," he said.

"We've been waiting for days, I am glad you are alive." Darian bowed his head.

Gaius' eyes roamed the room. "Where is Lena, was she locked up?" He asked Darian.

"Yes, she's in the dark room," Darian responded.

Gaby's heart shredded when Darian said that. She wondered what Lena was going through right now, she trusted that she couldn't have poisoned her father, but there was no evidence to prove her innocence. Gaby felt so guilty that she'd not asked about Lena since she was locked up in the dark room. She knew she failed her as a friend.

"Why? Do you think she'd do something like that?" Gaius asked. Darian saw how his face dropped in chagrin. "Lena was the one who served the wine, but she wasn't the one who poisoned me. I know that so well." He spoke his words slowly.

"The rule of the mafia states that all prime suspects in a crime should be severely dealt with until they confess. It isn't my fault, I just had to do it." Darian said.

"You are the Don and you can change the rules. Don't you know that you can?" Gaius asked Darian. "Get that woman out of the darkroom and make your investigations carefully to avoid punishing an innocent person."

Darian smiled, and his eyes landed on Talia.

He was still gawking at her when he heard the loud beeping sound of his phone. He swiped on the screen and saw the call from Amy. He picked it, wondering why she was calling him.

"Amy?" He said.

"Darian, I visited the darkroom to check Lena. I know how sacred the place can be, but I do want to greet her and see how she is doing. I met her in a very poor state, you need to come to get her out of here." Amy complained over the phone.

"What's wrong with her?" Darian's chest hammered against its ribcage. "What's wrong with my wife, Amy?" All the eyes in the room turned to him when he mentioned his wife.

"Darian, you have to start coming. Lena just fainted!" Amy yelled into the phone.

"What?" Darian looked at Talia and Gaius. "Lena just fainted, I have to go now." His voice was already shaky as he found his way to the doorpost.

Faithy💓

Married To The Mafia LordOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara