Part 2: 1

"I can't believe he's gone." Spider cried with his hands between his legs. Wishing I could comfort him, I dropped a small rope of flowers from the funeral. I brought myself next to him, sitting on the weaved bed.

"Do you want to talk about him? I will listen." I promised, putting my hand on his back and rubbing circles. The most comforting feeling.
"I don't know what to say." Spider whispered, shaking his head to move the tears that itched his face under his mask.

"That is understandable, Spider. What would you like to do? Lay down? I could try to find you something to do? Just tell me." I whispered back to him, sitting comfortably.

"Would you talk to me... about Earth? Maybe we shouldn't stay here." Spider suggested, still sobbing in between breaths.

"I can tell you about Earth. But first I'm going to say this... you shouldn't leave them now." I started, laying back on the hammock.

"On Earth, we learn in schools at desks. We wear silly uniforms, like the sky people but more formal. I never spoke to anyone like I speak to you now, but I had a few friends. One of them actually reminds me of Lo'ak. She's fiery, I just hope he stays that way since Neteyam is gone. Ask me anything." I told Spider very few things. Waiting for him, he laid down next to me after closing the wraps on our hut opening.

"Tell me what their nature is like." He asked, facing me on the bed.

"Broken. There's no green there, she's dying." I replied to him sparsely. With what he has been through, I did not want to disappoint him again.

"Oh." He whispered.
I felt his hands holding mine between our legs, squeezing them lightly.

"Maybe you are right, Grey. We should stay here. Max called in after the funeral, he said the bodies are in a separate lab and that your things are at the old address." Spider said suddenly, breaking my focus.

"We should go back... to say goodbye to the forest." I told him this in little confidence. The forest brought us together pushing love through our hearts, showing us what true beauty really is. Now we said goodbye?
"It's not goodbye, we will always come back." Spider said, dropping my arms and beginning to pull my body closer.
There was the fire again. Hot.

"I couldn't leave the place that brought you to me." He smiled, nervously searching my face for a response.

"I couldn't leave the place that brought me this family... and you, I guess." I played along, poking his arms for fun. There was his smile, earned for the first time since the funeral. Never tiring.

"I can't wait to have a family like theirs." Spider sighed, looking up to the hut's ceiling.

"A strong family, independent. It's so beautiful how they are like a fortress." He continued speaking with his hands.
"Exactly." I agreed.
My voice cracked, causing a look of attention. Fire.

"What's wrong?"
His eyes searched frantically again, watching the tears well into my eyes.

"He did not deserve this. It should've been me. He covered me, Spider. He knew it would happen." I tried to shout, but my tears choked every breath from my lungs.

"Grey, he chose to help you. I saw it. He admired your bravery over anything else. I saw it, he saw a part himself in you. He wanted to save you." Spider comforted my pain. His hands were resting on my arms, rubbing with him thumbs.

"You're right." My mouth finally spoke.

      ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・