28

"Grey! Talk to me. You can't ignore me." Dex yelled into my left ear. I felt the tickle of the vibrations close to my face, but I walked on. The ship's large hallways strung for what seemed like miles. In confrontation, I clung to Spider.

"Do not speak to her." He puffed into the face of my former father-figure. I felt the anger radiating off of him as he stared down Dex. The man walked with his body facing us. His avatar form crouching in the halls.

Looking up and down, then back up again. Spider watched him, walking next to us.

"Don't anger me, boy." He growled to Spider, placing a finger on his chest and stopping us. My face frowned in anger, twitching. I felt the seething of my breath through my teeth and skin.

"Stop, now." Spider growled back at him.
Placing his whole hand over Dex's finger, he pushed it away. I saw the disbelief spread across each oth their faces.

"I told you not to push me, boy." Dex grabbed Spider's hand from his finger and held it by the wrist. The face of my former best friend twitched and quaked with anger.

"Do. Not. Touch. Her." Spider said with pausing words. He threw his wrist away from the pressurizing grip and held his arm in front of me.

"What you going to do, monkey?" Dex spoke back, prompting Spider. With a defeated sigh, he stepped back. Removing his arm from my path, my breath hitched deep in my throat.

"That's what I thought. And you, girl. Don't speak, and I'll give you something to cry about. How 'bout I take out your boy, here. That make you talk?" Dex threatens, taking a booming step towards Spider.

In a flash, he grabbed him by the hair and held him under a knife.

"No!" I yelled, catching the attention of a few lab mates across the hall.

"Get out." Dex hissed, shooing them with his head. Their small footsteps scurried away in fear.

"Stop! I'll talk. Let him go, if you hurt him I won't ever come back." I confessed through Spider's fearful grunts.

"Grey, don't do it." He said to me, restraining the grip on his body.

"I can't take this anymore. Let him go, man." I sighed. My head fell to the floor and my heart sank lower. I heard the steps of Spider's bare feet on the cold floor.

"Get out of here." I ordered him, pushing away as he stepped to me. I felt guilt flowing through me in all of my veins.

"I'm sorry, I need you to be safe. Please, go." I warned him with a soft expression and my hand on his shoulder. His face softened, nodding to my words.

Putting his head to the ground, he turned on his heels. I watched as his hair swayed in each step, rounding a corner and looking once back to me.

Shit.

"You come with me." Dex said with a tender tone, he placed a hand on my shoulder. I sighed, deep down in my stomach. The sigh seemed to clear the air but not my own feelings. It grew.

Starting in my toes, it tingled up and around. I felt it creep through my knees and into my stomach, all the way into my throat. Seeping into the corners of my brain. I knew I'd end up in some deep trouble.

"Alright, what do you want." I finally spoke. I couldn't bring myself to act out of anger towards him. Painfully feeling guilty wojld haunt me for the rest of my days.

"Look, kid." Dex said, handing me a mask and opening the door.

"You and I both know what I did was for the safety of the team." He started, holding the door and letting me walk through it. He crouched to me before I spoke, looking to me with innocent eyes.