10

I wish I could know what is going on in his mind. It's truly a mystery.

Why are you so hung up on this?

My hair whipped around in the open air as I sat still in the plane. Loud whirring was almost ear splitting, but once you get lost in the scenery it's a whole bunch of nothing.

Floating mountains and vines hanging over the edges, waterfalls, mist pockets and animals roaming freely.
Large bird-like creatures flying high in the air passed us by and called out loudly.

Stunned by the beauty of the forest, an elbow pulled me out of my trance.
Something always does.

"Ikran." Spider said, pointing at the large flying animals.
"They're like... banshees." He said, mimicking the soaring of the bird with one hand.

"Wow. Have you ever been close to one?" I said with a smile on my face. It was truly fascinating.

"I've never had my own, I can't. But back with the family I've ridden on one... a few times." He says with a grin that was almost homesick.

"Why can't you have one?" I ask foolishly. He turns his head looking at the Ikran and back to me, biting the inside of his cheek.

"There's this thing the Na'vi do. Those braids..." he started, pointing to Quaritch sitting in front of us. A large braid extended from his head down to his lower back. Perfectly formed.

I nodded, signaling I understood and that he could continue.
"They make a bond with the Ikran, then they're almost like... one?" He said with a scrunched face.

It made sense to me. No braids on a human can bond with the Ikran.
"Hm. I think I saw something like that once." I say, moving my lips in a bored distraction way.

"What?" He said, furrowing his eyebrows and turning his head back at me.

Sighing, I tried to find the words to explain the large black animal that carried me for miles the day we met.
It had been some time...

"When I was first thrown into the forest, there was this... dog? It's stupid." I laughed, smiling politely.

He bit his lip and looked out to the forest.

"Oh, Thanator. Palulukn, Dangerous." He said, looking at me and tilting his head in worry.
"How were you not hurt?" He questioned, turning his body to face me more and leaning on his hands.

"I don't know. It just came to me. I almost pissed myself when it did though. Huge animal." I said with my eyebrows raised.

Like he doesn't know, Grey!

With a stupid expression, I turned my head back to the forest.
After a few moments of silence, Spider spoke again.

"Pure heart." Is all he said, staring into the side of my head.
I turned to him with a questioning look on my face and mustered up a small smile.

"Oh." I said giddily, looking down and laughing to myself.

The plane continued to fly through the forest as I wondered about what else is out there.

    ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

As everyone unloaded the large plane deep into the jungle, Spider and I were the last two out. We followed closely to the Avatars.

He knew his way around the forest, but kept quiet. He was a smart man. I took one glance at this forest and knew I couldn't be sent here to kill... I needed to keep quiet too.