25

"The target is pretty much this whole island group." Colonel said, pointing over a holographic map. Spider stood with his hands against the warm railing of the table. I noticed how in this ship, nothing was cold like it was back in our lab.

Everything there was cold, the temperature, the attitudes...

I clicked off my mask and threw it at a different table. It bounced off and landed in a corner. Knowing I could do with a fresh one, I turned away from it and watched the group talk.

Spider's POV

Grey stood across from me near some computer equipment, and my dad blocked her. Sometimes I wonder if he knows what is going on between us, and if he would be angry with me for what we were planning.

I watched her through the hologram. It reflected off of her skin and she took of her mask and tossed it. She made a wincing face, trying to grab her mask from falling off the spare table before turning back to me.

"Oops." She said.

Her lands leaned her against the table and supported her body. I could see her arms flexing under the weight of her, and the scratches going up them. Small scars pricked in every other spot, my eyes noticed them all. Some of them almost looked like scratches the way they were shaped.

"Spider?" I heard her whispering across the table. My eyes jumped from the sight of her arms to her eyes. She shook her head in question a few times before rolling her eyes.

"I've never been up there." Scoresby said in his foreign accent. He crossed his arms and looked over to Grey.
"Ever been, girl?" He asked her, turning his body to face her.

She became visibly uncomfortable at the presence of him next to her. She mocked him and crossed her arms across her chest. With an attitude on her face, she spoke up.

"No I haven't... girl." She said with a disrespectful tone. Her eyes widened and she shook her head in disgust while looking him up and down.

Rolling his eyes, Scoresby turned back to the map.

"You know those waters, Doc. What kind of indigenous we got." He continued, giving Grey a heavy side glance. A laugh rose in my throat and I looked to her.

She held her arms crossed and continued to look Scoresby up and down. Attitude splayed across her whole body. I let go of the railing and tried to find a way to her. Crouching under my dad's arms, I walked to the computers behind her.

"Hey." I smiled to her.

"Metkayina mostly. Some Ta'unui, maybe 50 villages." Another man spoke. This seemed to catch Grey's attention as she snapped away from me and to their conversation.

"The reef people?" She chimed in.
Nodding to her, the doctor continued talking. She turned back to me with a proud grin on her face. I could tell she was happy to be learning about my people. It meant a lot to her that I taught her their culture.

"Now you are... who?" My dad asked, pointing to the man with reef knowledge.
Grey slightly turned her head to hear their conversation.

Grey's POV

"Im Ian Garvin. Marine biologist." The man who caught my attention said with a hand out to the colonel.

I saw Spider in my peripheral as they continued to talk. I watched him as he pressed buttons on the computer. Until his father stopped speaking, he turned with a scared look on his face.

The man, Scoresby spoke loudly.

Spider and I turned to him in sync.

"I hunt Tulkun. That's what I'm rigged for, that's all my guys do. I've got quotas to meet." He ended firmly, slamming a hand down on the table. I looked to Spider with my mouth parting in surprise.
He shrugged.