21

"The signal was intermittent and they lost it over open water, but if you project the track it hits this island group." Quaritch presented, circling his hand over thousands of small dots.

"That's hundreds of islands." My mother said, crossing her arms and pursing her lips.
"Hundreds of clans." I said to Spider, pushing him with my elbow.

"That's a huge search box, with lots of villages." She continued, looking over to me and looking sternly at me to be quiet.

"God." Spider responded, looking to me with a shocked face. Nodding my head, I looked to him with the same look. That woman was terrifying, there's no way she could be mine.

"This is our guy. You give me ships and aircraft, I'll bring you back his scalp." Quaritch growled. He muscles on his face tensed up with his expression and wrinkled around his mouth.

His words rang through my body, sending shivers down my spine.
"This is stupid..." I started, turning to Spider and walking away from the group a few steps.

"But why do they have to kill him?" I said, crossing my arms and leaning back slightly.

"He humiliated these guys, kind of. I wish they didn't, Jake is just trying to keep his family safe." Spider whispered. He held his hands on his hips, looking over to the floating map and projecting lights.

"How many? His family." I reiterated.

He sighed and looked around, thinking to himself. Biting the inside of his lip, he spoke softly.

"Their oldest, Neteyam. He's a great warrior like his father. He protected us that day we met, and Lo'ak and Kiri." He paused after their names.

"They are the same age, like twins. Kiri is not biological to Jake, but they accept her like their own. Lo'ak... he's just crazy. The one you met that day." He said with a small smile, removing his hands from his hips and crossing them.

I nodded, signaling him to continue.

"And Tuk. She's the youngest. She's just about your height." He chuckled, imagining the small girl and poking me in the arm.
Smiling, I imagined the small girl from the first night we met.

She was brave and confident.

"That's beautiful. Do you miss them?" I asked him, tilting my head in question.
He rubs his lips together and speaks softly again.

"I do. But they never really accepted me, I think." He shrugged.

I felt sorry for him. He truly felt like he would never be accepted anywhere, but to me he was. I accepted him in all the ways he was. Human or not I would love this boy.

"Well, I'm here. We can protect them." I tried to promise him, putting my hand on his arm.

"That rogue ship is going to be the start of something that we can't protect them from." Spider replied. His voice sounded pained. He took a hand and placed it over mine, caressing it gently.

"They will take them?" I asked him, wanting to know more about the situation.

"They'll kill them. He'll do anything to get to Jake, and his kids are the way in." Spider sighed, letting go of my hand.

"We just have to be prepared." I said, nodding in agreement with him.

Nodding back to me, we turned to the consultants in the lab. Many people pointed to small dots on the map. Skipping over a large area, I grabbed his arm and pointed discretely.

"That right there." I started, pointing with his finger and closing one eye.
"Metkayina. Reef people, they live in small huts on the shore of the ocean. I learned that from this book someone wrote." I told him, slapping my hands on my thighs.

"Shit." Spider said, squinting his eyes at the map and leaning closer.

He leaned back and looked to me. Grabbing my arm in worry, he pulled me to a small table with tall chairs.

"Grey, it's coming. A fight." He said with a stern expression.
"They will do anything to find him." I nodded, finding my way to his hand with mine.

It was the small moments I felt his heart, his pain and trauma. I felt the cracks running through him and the feeling of worthlessness that guided him. He wanted to feel loved and accepted. Nobody could do that better than I, but o feared that our lives would be cut short. Something raged inside me as I felt him breaking beneath my touch.

There was nothing to prepare us both for what was coming.

"Sad day?" Dex asked, walking to our table and sitting down with a large content of food. He carried small bags of meat and vegetables from earth.

"Yeah." Spider and I spoke at the same time. Our hands still connected over the table as I felt his heart beat out of his skin.

"What have you heard?" I whispered, ducking my head behind the large bottle filled with water.

Dex chuckled and put the last piece of a cooked [something] into his mouth.
"Yeah. We're packing bags and flying over to the next base. They have specialist in all things reef and water here. Some guy, I guess." Dex said with his mouthful, between bites.

"Shit. More humans?" Spider said with his eyes in shock. I looked to him with an annoyed look.

"Is that directed?" I joked, taking a small piece of food and tossing it to him.
As he swatted it with his hands, he sighed and fixed his hair.

"I guess." He shrugged with a sarcastic expression. Throwing his hands up in a 'peace' signal, he laughed softly. His laughter filled the quiet room as people worked in all places.

"Well, when are we out?" He asked, quieting his voice.

"Like 2 days estimate." Dex said, throwing around his hair and fixing it.
"Stop acting like that! You're not young, bro." I chuckled, throwing another piece of food at him and Spider.

They both laughed before Dex scoffed dramatically.

"Actually..." he paused, pretending to think with his hand on his chin.
"25 is young, dillweed." He said with an insult I've never heard before.

"What?" Spider laughed, scratching his neck and looking to me.
"What?" Dex asked defensively, looking back and forth between us.

Skipping my gaze to Spider I stifled a laugh, covering my face with my hands and turning away. My face was hot and my stomach aches from the laughter.

"Alright, I'm old." Dex said. Throwing his hands up in surrender.

Smiling down at my feet hanging off the chair, I cherished this happy moment.

It might be one of our last.

AN: omg😏 so Dex is a young hottie that's how I'm writing him cry abt it

How did you like this chapter?
Get ready for the next few they are going to be GOOD
I say that every time but I MEAN IT THIS TIME BITCHES BETTER BE PREPARED.

Don't forget to leave a vote if you enjoyed it ❤️❤️