Chapter 51: Sticks and Twigs

The car ride back to your house after the trip to the hospital was silent. Jungkook was too stressed out to know what to say, and you couldn't speak for yourself.

You too were stressed beyond your limits.

After what seemed like an eternity, you pulled into the driveway, shifting your car into park and putting the handbrake on.

The two of you got out of the car and took slow steps up to your front door. Jungkook took a deep breath in, and looked at you for the first time since the park.

"What will I tell hyung?"

You bit your lip, thinking. "Whatever you want, just be confident. I'll handle his questions."

Pausing, he nodded hesitantly. "Alright, noona, I trust you."

Without another thought, you opened the door and strode in.

"Oh, Bambi, you're back- Jungkook?"

Taehyung had risen from his spot on the couch to greet you, but stopped when he saw Jungkook behind you, head trained on the floor in front of him.

Hearing his name, Jungkook looked up and gave a small smile, evidently unsure. "Surprise, hyung."

You squeezed Jungkook's shoulder, stepping in to save him. "He's going to be staying with us for a while, if you don't mind. I didn't really ask you, but I thought you'd appreciate having a gaming buddy in the house. And it's Jungkook, so-"

Taehyung waved his hand dismissively, saying, "Yeah yeah it's fine, but.... why? Is everything okay?"

Jungkook's eyes shifted, looking everywhere but at Taehyung.

"Yeah, everything's fine, he just-"

"My appa's decided he's going to restrict my activities for a month because apparently I'm not focusing on schoolwork." Jungkook interrupted, this time looking at Taehyung confidently.

Taehyung raised his eyebrow and scoffed. "So you decided to run away? Nice one, Kook."

Jungkook shrugged. "Yeah, well, don't my grades show proof that that isn't the case? Plus, I don't want to waste my youth submitting to my parent's- well, appa's- wishes all the time. What kind of life is that?"

Taehyung paused, mulling over what Jungkook had said. Then, he shrugged and replied, "Fair point. But don't come running back to me when you go home and your parents beat the living crap put of you."

Taehyung laughed at his own joke, not realising Jungkook was swallowing his nervousness.

To make it less awkward, you faked a laugh, and jabbed Jungkook's side to make him react, too.

But instead, Jungkook flinched as your elbow hit his abdomen, instinctively moving away from your side at the stab of pain he felt. However, he managed to make it discreet and mustered a pained smile.

As soon as you had realised what you'd done, your eyes widened and you hurriedly apologised to him quietly. Taehyung was watching the exchange, and his eyebrows furrowed.

An expression of worry quickly crossed his face. "Oh my gosh, Kook, are you okay? What happened to your head?!"

You internally face palmed.

Of course the idiot only noticed now.

Throughout the entire conversation, not once had Taehyung mentioned the white bandage wrapped around Jungkook's forehead.

It was hard to miss.

So, considering he had managed to miss it, you were astounded.

"O-oh, that?" Jungkook rubbed his nap nervously, glancing at you for help. "I-I just-"

"He hit it on a tree branch when he was climbing out his window."

You had blurted it out before you knew it.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Come on Y/N, couldn't you come up with anything better?!

Both Jungkook and Taehyung were staring at you with puzzled glances now.

"Climbing out the... window?" Taehyung asked, confused.

Jungkook pleaded with you desperately with his eyes for you to make up a story on the spot.

So, you took a deep breath, and did what you did best.

Lying.

"Yeah, well, he was climbing out the window to sneak away from his parents, the same way he does when Bangtan meets at night, but he was being hasty and knocked his head on that big branch that hangs over the window, and now he has a cut and lump on his forehead."

Taehyung's gaze flicked between the two of you for a moment, while yiu and Jungkook held your breath, desperately praying he would believe you.

Then, after a moment of debating, Taehyung said, "And those scratches on your face are from..."

"The twigs and leaves!" Jungkook blurted out. "Like, the sticks-"

"Okay, okay, I got it, whatever. You're careless, nothing new." Taehyung said dismissively, nodding his head.

You and Jungkook let out a slient sigh of relief knowing that Taehyung had bought your excuse.

Taehyung turned and waved his hand for Jungkook to follow him. "Here Kook,  we have a spare room, let's get you sorted." He paused and face Jungkook, scanning him up and down. "You were so hasty you forgot to pack clothes, huh?"

Jungkook scratched his nape again, smiling sheepishly. "Yeah..."

Rolling his eyes, Taehyung continued on his path. "Well, you're lucky I have clothes. You can borrow some of mine."

You scoffed. You just couldn't resist teasing your twin when you had the chance.

"What do you mean, 'you're lucky'? You live here, monkey, of course he would expect you had clothes!"

"SHUT UP!!" He called back, and you giggled as the two of them disappeared into the hallway.

You smiled and leant against the door, sinking deep into your thoughts.

Ding!

An idea shot into your mind, like the bullet out of your own gun.

"I... WON'T BE BACK BEFORE DINNER!! I'VE JUST GOT TO-"

"WHATEVER BAMBI, GO AHEAD! JUNGKOOKIE WON'T LEAVE ME!" Taehyung's voice echoed off the walls, and you chuckled quietly.

Without waiting any longer, you once again scooped up your bag and rushed out the door.

Your mind went back to Yoongi.

You could only think of one more way to find him at the moment, but you were also aware that it could be another goose chase.

Not that you really cared.

You would do anything to save him.

So you didn't care how many hours you waste to find him.

Other than the fact the longer you took time find him, the more danger he might be in.

That was what was keeping your blood pumping right now.

So, hopping in your car, you headed out to the warehouse once more.

Once more for today, to find Yoongi.