Chapter 42 : Fucked Up

- R O M A N -  A N G E L O -

* * *

All I see is pain. Her eyes brimmed with tears as they stain her flawless face and her eyes wide, full of disbelief and so much pain as she looks at her brother.

Some brother.

The moment he pulled out the gun and pointed it to her, I was on my feet and behind her as I pulled out my own. If he laid even a finger on her, he would be as good as dead.

"Dead. I see you dead." He says to her and I notice her breath hitch and her step falter and can't help but wonder how she was involved in the death of half her family.

I wrapped my arm around her waist and stood right behind her, my finger on the trigger if he was to make any move, but he seemed unfazed and what I saw next confused me even more.

Familiarity.

Like she'd been through this before. How? And why? I had no fucking idea but I was going to find to find out.

"Put the gun down." I growled at her brother who was looking at her with such coldness it was hard to believe he actually loved her.

"That's all I needed to know. Glad to find out what you think of me." I heard her whisper rather coldly.

"Because I'm done. With everything." She said with finality in her voice and took off the engagement ring off of her finger and threw it on the floor just as I pulled her out of the office.

"I only left for two days. But maybe what we needed was me to leave forever." She spoke looking back at him just as he seemed to realize what he had done, the gun dropping out of his hand and falling on the floor. 

His face contorted to one of regret and pain when he looked at her broken state but I didn't let it go any further than that as I pulled her away from the office and took her towards my car with Gabriel and Enzo following behind me.

"Adesso dove?" (Where to now?) Gabriel asked me as I unlocked my car and made Heather sit inside and buckled her seatbelt.

"Andare a casa. Te lo dirò tra un po'." (Go home. I'll tell you in a while.) I told them as I closed the car door and saw them look at Heather with sympathy as they nodded and left.

"Prenditi cura di lei." (Take care of her.) Enzo told me before following Gabriel as I looked at her.

There's no doubt I will.

Sitting in the car, I drove off with one last look at the building and took her hand in mine, which was now very cold for some reason as I stroked her knuckles gently. 

"Can you take me home?" She spoke after a while, making me nearly frown.

"Home? You want to go back there?" I asked her in disbelief because I had no idea as to why she'd want to go back there, where her brother would be. The same that pulled his gun on her.