Chapter 43 : Hidden Places

- H E A T H E R - E L I A S -

* * *

At first there was warmth, but when I woke up, all I felt was coldness around me and almost immediately, I panicked.

It was dark out and the sky looked clear from the large balcony window, the moon's light illuminating the dark room just enough to see.

I quickly reached for my phone and frowned when I saw a sticky note attached to it. But once I read it, my heart seemed to calm down as my shoulders sagged in relief.

"Don't panic, I'm either outside or out to run an errand. Don't miss me too much princess."

I reread the note as a small smile formed on my face, but it was quickly wiped off when I remembered why I was here in the first place, making me sigh heavily.

Getting out of bed, I made my way to the bathroom and splashed water on my face to refresh myself.

Walking back out, I put the sticky note in my side drawer and unlocked my phone, briefly glancing at all the missed calls from my family before putting it away.

I'll deal with this later.

I quickly made the bed and shrugged on a black hoodie and walked outside, just as the main door was opened and Roman walked into the living room, talking to someone on the phone in Italian.

I made my way to the kitchen and looked for something that could be used to make dinner but found nothing.

Not even a single cookie which I found strange because I remember stocking the corner cabinet with my favorite chocolate chip cookies.

"Hungry?" Roman's voice came from behind me and I turned around to look at him.

"Yeah, but there's nothing to eat. Or cook to eat." I shrugged when he took out his phone.

"I'll get things from the grocery store." He said turning around and heading for the door.

"Wait, I'll come with you. I know a place here where we can eat." I said, stopping him in his tracks.

"Someone might see you." He told me while scanning my face intently.

"They won't. Trust me." I said firmly and confidently and saw him nod, rather hesitantly.

"Grab whatever you need. I'm waiting outside." He said before turning back around and leaving the apartment. I quickly put on my white ankle boots I wore in the morning and took off the black hoodie and shrugged on my checkered blazer.

Grabbing my phone, I tucked it into my blazer's pocket along with my wallet and ran a hand through my hair before practically running out of the apartment.

I locked the door and checked twice to be sure before making my way down, where Roman was leaning against the car door, typing on his phone.

He looked up when he heard me walk over to him and opened the passenger door for me. I got in and buckled the seat belt just as he got in too and we drove off.