Chapter 36 : Tension

- R O M A N - A N G E L O -

* * *

I jolt awake when I hear small sobs and sniffles and immediately turn on the bedside lamp and watch as Heather mutters something incoherent in her sleep. 

I reach out to hold her but as soon as my hand touches her skin, she flinches and sits up abruptly, tears streaming down her face as she watches me with fear all over her face.

"It's me baby, Roman." I whisper to her gently, and watch as her face starts to relax a bit before another sob breaks out of her and I quickly take hold of her, pulling her into my lap as she straddles me with her face in the crook of my neck.

"It's okay baby, I'm right here." I whisper to her softly while her body shakes as she cries softly.

"I-I- didn't mean for it to happen.. P-Please, you have to believe me..." She mumbles, making me look at her as she pulls away from me a bit, but I don't let her go and tighten my hold around her waist.

"Believe what baby?" I ask her softly as she shakes her head.

"I-I swear I didn't m-mean it, h-he came in front of me, he gave up e-everything for me so I could live h-happily and it's all m-my fault. I d-didn't listen to him and I l-loved him so much. I loved him s-so much. It's all my fault, I'll never see him again." She spoke crying as I brought my hand to her face and wiped her tears away.

"It's okay baby, I believe you." I whisper to her, making her cry harder.

"I-I loved h-him so much but h-he's g-gone..." She sobbed and for some reason, something inside me tightened a bit. 

Maybe it was because she was crying, or maybe because she was confessing her undying love for someone else

I shook the thoughts away and pulled her closer to me, making her lay her head on my chest as I rubbed her back while she poured her heart out to me and for some reason I was glad I was here with her at the moment so I could comfort her.

"You'll be fine angel, everything will be fine." I whispered softly, running my hands through her hair and kissing her head as I felt her cries subsiding slowly, replaced by small hiccups every now and then.

Once I felt she had gone back to sleep did I carefully slide down onto the bed with her still on top of me.

I pulled the covers over us and just as my eyes were about to close, I felt her sweet voice ringing in my ears utter another name I was once very familiar with.

"I'm so sorry Anton." 

* * *