Chapter 40 : Sit Still, Look Pretty

We left the club after staying there for an hour or so and to say I wanted to crash into bed would be an understatement

I was tired of telling off different people who offered me drinks or a dance or the best night of my life, although Zephyr did most of the work for me by sending them away by a single glare.

Thank god he was there.

He was acting like an over-protective boyfriend, but denied it when I told him that. 

When we finally reached home, I took off my heels as we entered and with them in my hands, I proceeded to walk towards the stairs just as my dad's voice stopped me mid-way.

"Thea sweetheart, go to the office will you?" He said before turning his back to me as Kim and Zarina gave me sympathetic smiles as they headed off to their rooms. 

Zephyr took my arm and had to practically drag my ass to the office, where I was met by Ivan and Alex. I huffed and sat down on the couch next to Ivan, playing with my dress. 

A few moments later, my dad walked in followed by both my uncles and Nikolai and all of them made themselves comfortable before everyone's eyes were on me. And I mean, everyone.

"We've put this off for quite a few hours now, but I think its time you tell us everything." Uncle Mikhail looked at me, making me nod as I contemplated what I would tell them.

"I um... I was overwhelmed and I didn't know what came over me at the moment." I started and took a deep breath before continuing.

"I was reminded of... him... and what happened that day at the ball and I guess I panicked because I was really not looking for any sort of commitment right now. Or ever." I confessed, playing with the rings on my fingers as I glanced at the men in the room who urged me to go on.

"I had a panic attack again." I said after a few beats of silence, making Ivan sit straighter.

"Are you taking you meds, kotenok?" He asked me, but I didn't look at him and kept my eyes trained to the carpeted floor.

"No." I whispered softly and shook my head lightly.

"I had a panic attack which is why I ran away. I just needed to be alone. I needed some time to myself. To think." I said and glanced at my father, who was watching me closely.

"I'm sorry. I owe all of you an apology for running off like that and making you so worried." I said glancing at each one them.

"Apology accepted." Uncle Karl spoke, smiling warmly at me, making me relax a bit.

"Thank you." I said gratefully.

"Why did you dance with him?" My dad said after a few moments of silence, making my eyes snap to him in confusion.

"You danced with Roman Angelo, and that was the first time I saw you smile genuinely on that day." He continued, making me gulp.

"I was dancing with Ivan previously, but he twirled me and let me go, I ended up bumping into Roman. He saw through my dull mood and I had to convince him that it was just the large crowd that overwhelmed me." I said shrugging and with the look on my dad's face, I could tell he knew I was lying but said nothing about it.