32: 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐥

After so many hours of television, I decided to be productive for once

After so many hours of television, I decided to be productive for once. I wore some stockings under a black dress and threw on a fluffy sweater. I grabbed my purse and greeted the furry dog that sat for me at the edge of the spiral staircase.

I bent down on the final step and zipped up my boots. I brought out a cute little collar for Mango and attached it to her neck. We both walked out in the snow and settled in my car. She was probably wondering why I decided to take her outside, especially with a white fur coat to match mine.

"Damien was out doing some 'business' and Scarlett being the love-sick traitor was out with Javier!" I throw my hands up at the wheel and scoff at the dog. She looks at me weirdly before I continue.

"Mango are you for real? I'm not third wheeling with those idiots. Besides, Charles is always out of the country. Watch- if I call him he's going to say he's in the Maldives or some shit." I pull my phone out to test my theory but shove it in the cup holder when I can't even type in my password.

When I come to a red light, I stare at myself in the mirror. My evaluation is cut short when I realize what I've been doing. "Jesus, Naomi you're talking to a dog?! You've officially lost it." Despite what I had just said I turn to Mango, "do you think I've lost it? Because I feel like I've lost the plot and I'm on autopilot for the rest of my life and then some days I feel like I have full control of what's going on."

Her slender ears point momentarily and I take it as a no. "Thank you, Mango. You've been a great friend." I scratch behind the mutt's ear and shove a treat in her face, watching as she eats it in urgency.

~~~

After the bakery owner politely informed me of their 'no animal policy' I stormed out of the wonderfully decorated shop, eating in my car. I shove a croissant into my mouth and deeply sigh, humming to the song playing. Mango stares at my croissant and I shoot her a glare, "Mango are you asking for a death wish?" She sticks out her tongue, "you're going to drop dead in my car if you eat this shit."

Instead of the buttery goodness she wanted, I picked up another treat and shoved it in her face. She turned her head to the left and with her paw, she points to the croissant. I sigh, "for fucks sake Mango."

"Not only is this a croissant, but a chocolate croissant. Go to bed or something we have one more stop." I shove the rest of the pastry into my mouth and start my car again, heading to my home.

Several minutes later I get in front of my house and look for my keys in my purse. I hadn't been here since the accident and I can remember leaving this place with a waddle. Mango hopped around in her spot and I pulled her into my home.

Luckily, the place wasn't a complete disaster. I let mango explore a little bit and walked into my garage, taking off the cover of my motorcycle. I slid my fingers against the metal and smiled in satisfaction at the beautiful paint job. It didn't even look like I got into a deadly casualty.

I grabbed my phone from my pocket and called my fathers driver in France. Asking him to ship my motorcycle to Damien's home. With a humble sigh, I walk back into my home and find Mango seated in front of my fireplace, next to the grand piano.

I sit on the bench and gently pet her. My mouth opens to rant to the mutt again but I'm broken by the sound of my phone. The phone displays my mother's number and I smile slightly, sliding to pick it up.

"Naomi, how are things?" She sounds a little stressed and I faintly frown.

"I'm great mom, you sound stressed what's up?" I knew if I didn't ask her something she'd find a way to make the conversation all about my well-being. Which I hated, sometimes I wanted to talk about her day, not mine.

I can hear her sigh, "I just lost a patient. He was the sweetest old man ever, and always had hope but deep down in his eyes, I could see he was hurting. Every day I wanted to ask how he was but I never did, keeping things at a professional level." I can hear a faint sniffle, "I just wish I did honey. I wish I did."

I used to tell my mother that she was too down-to-earth for her profession. It would happen all the time, I knew that during her lunch she'd mourn the loss of her patients. It's just something she couldn't help. "Mom, he's doing better now. Please don't beat yourself up on things you could've done. Think about things you can do, ways to interact with your patients without getting too attached." I'm not a therapist so mustering up some type of consoling reply was truly a difficulty.

I can feel her smile from the screen, "how are you honey? Any special black-haired mafia man you'd like to inform me about?" I just know her eyebrows are wiggling.

"No mom, there's nothing to talk about. There's also no 'black-haired mafia man"' I inform breathlessly, watching Mango get up and walk over to my dark kitchen.

"Okay, Idiota. I hope you know your best friend Scarlett will fill me in with all the details." She states, slightly scoffing at my refusal to open up.

I roll my eyes, "Scarlett is a pathological liar mom. But I have to go, there's someone I need to see." I stand up abruptly and secure Mango's leash is back on. She says her goodbyes and hangs up as I secure Mango to the seat.

I check the time and exhale, knowing this is the time Damien should be back. He'd informed me during breakfast and for some stupid reason, I was excited to see him. Okay, maybe not excited I'm just-

Ecstatic?

Hell no.

Maybe it's exhilaration? Thrill? Maybe it's enthusiasm? Enrapture? Maybe it's Maybelline? No, not that. I groan slightly and tap my fingers against the steering wheel.

My thinking gets cut short when I pull into Damien's gate. His car is parked up front and I can see him exiting the vehicle. I took it upon myself to walk up to him but he surprises me.

I feel totally stupid when he ignores my presence and walks into the house. Slamming the door behind him.

The fuck?

Whew, chileI usually don't update today but I felt nice

Whew, chile
I usually don't update today but I felt nice...
Au revoir 🫶🏽