Lost And Forgotten (Morpheus x Reader) *Angst*

Morpheus first thought when he had returned to the Dreaming hadn't been his old lover. However, they had been his second, and his third, and all his thoughts after that as he reclaimed his tools and dealt with the vortex.

He hadn't meant to stay away for as long. Things just got in the way. The waking world and the Dreaming needed protection, and he did his best for it. But now that those messes were dealt with, he could afford to take time away to go find his former partner.

They hadn't separated on good terms. Like all his past romances, it had ended with anger and denial. Morpheus's pride in the way of his feelings, and (Y/N)'s stubbornness taking control of the words they spoke.

"I'm done, Morpheus." They told him, tone furious and eyes flicking with that same fire that he had fallen in love with. "I'm done with you."

He shook his head, not believing their words. "You be gone for long, (Y/N). You could never truly forget about me."

Their expression was unreadable. Always able to cloak their thoughts from him. "We'll see about that." They spit out, storming away from his throne room.

As it turned out, Morpheus had been the one unable to forget. Waiting for them to return although they didn't. When he was trapped in his glass cage and his pride wounded, he began to realize he was the one who needed to fix things.

***

(Y/N) loved to live in the waking world, something Morpheus never quite understood. They always said they loved the frantic energy of humans. Their desire to do so much.

Their lives were so fleeting, but they used nearly every minute of it.

When he finally found (Y/N), they were sitting at some park. Sitting and relaxing, the sun enveloping them.

He watched them, concern taking over as he watched them take a bottle of pills out of their pocket and downing a couple. "Are you alright?" He asked, getting their attention.

They looked surprised that he was speaking to him, but eventually grinned sheepishly. "Yeah, just been having headaches. Don't worry, these aren't for fun." They gestured to the pills.

"Oh. Good." They seemed so much less angry that he expected. In fact, it was like they weren't even bothered by his presence. "I hope the pain you're feeling isn't because of me."

"You?" They looked perturbed, which made Morpheus worried for some reason. "I'm sorry, do I know you?"

His blood went cold, beginning to realize what was happening. They had said that they would forget about him, and he knew they had the supernatural power to make that happen.

"Hey, are you alright?" They seemed worried about him as he froze up. It broke his heart even more then finding out they had used magic to scrub their memory.

He knew he had the power to change that, to bring their memory back. But... "Yes." He nodded. "I'm sorry."

For now, (Y/N) was lost to him, a thought that broke his heart. However, memory spells fade eventually, faster for immortals like them. And he could wait until then to apologize.

He would wait as long as he needed for them.