Chapter 26

Clarke's POV

Once Bellamy has helped me snap out of it, I take his hand and we catch up with the others. I keep telling myself to suck it up and put on a brave face, but it doesn't seem to be working as people are looking at me funny. One after the other we file into the command room and scan for the screen showing wastelander territory. Lexa and her army lay in wait on the treeline. A lone soldier is sent out to carry our message. Minutes pass as Thorn and the brave grounder talk. The rebel leader looks angry. With a swift arm he takes out the poor soldier with one punch. Gasps echo through the command centre and Monty busies himself preparing the missile. Fast clicking follows as Monty's fingers dance on the keyboard. Everyone else stands patiently watching but I focus on the poor grounder, willing him to get up and run.
"Clarke, its ready. All you have to do is press this button and the missile will launch". I'm taken back in time to that day when a lever stood between me and my people. I feel Bellamy close in behind me.
"Together?" He asks, waiting for a reply.
"Together." I repeat. He places his hand on top of mine. Out of nowhere, a gunshot rings in the stone chamber. I turn and see Emerson with a gun in his hand, glaring at me.
"Back again, murderer!" He spits at me.