Chapter 58 - They Don't Matter

Social media was having a frenzy about Chris and I this last month.

Apparently, photos from the proposal at Disneyland had been leaked. Not the professional ones! Thos are great and intimate. What were leaked, or more like bought were 'fan' shot photos.

People were losing it. I would say that the verdict was about 50/50. Half were happy to see Chris and I finally settling down and tying the knot. But it was also a shock.

Chris and I had never really gone out of our way in public to be seen in a relationship. Then again, it's not like we hid either. Paparazzi just mostly saw us at big events, or with groups so they would write about it that way and I think that's what has the other 50% so pissed off.

It's not just fans though. Chris and I had run into a few snags with people who weren't immediate family.

One of Chris's uncles I had met during the 4th of July dinner called Chris telling him that he shouldn't marry a gold-digging bitch like me. It was a bit of a shock for the both of us in all honesty. In that situation we were lucky to have Lisa. She called out Chris's Uncle and told him off. He has since apologized but that was one of the first signs that we should have taken in regards to how people would react to the news.

Jess's Cousin had also made it well known that she didn't like me nor did she like the fact that Chris had decided to ask to marry me.

Apparently, Shana and Carly talked to her and found out that she actually liked Chris. She had stated that they were second cousins which meant that they could happily be together.

I was more than thankful when the girls shut that down and got her out on a date. Things seem to be going really well for Jess and her new Boyfriend. I was glad she was happy, and that she wasn't bothering Chris about this anymore.

I think my biggest problem with all of this was that I just didn't get it. It's not like Chris and I are toxic. We rarely fight and if we do it's over something simple. Normally a small mistake and the person was having a bad day accidently taking it out on the other. But even then, those or so few and far between that the relationship is strong.

Something else we had to go through was being contacted by someone I never wanted to hear from. My uncle. I'm not a 100% sure how he had managed to get my contact information, but he called. I had figured it was one of the upcoming jobs that I had auditioned for.

Hearing his overly sweet voice on the phone sent me into a shock.

Flashback:

Chris and I sat on the couch about to turn on Little Mermaid when I heard my phone ringing in the kitchen.

"Go get it, the movie can wait." Chris told me with a smile. He had already known the dilemma I was having. I did so quickly grab it and swiping answer.

"Hello?" I answer questioningly as I start walking towards the living room.

"How's my darling niece?" The voice had sent a shiver down my spine. My breathing picked up and the phone slid out of my hands hitting the hard wood floor.

Apparently, the noise had been enough for Chris to get up and check on me. He saw the state I was in and grabbed my face.

"Breath baby girl. I'm right here, you're okay."

"He-He, He's on the phone." I tell him through shallowed breaths. Chris gently held one of my hands as he used the other to grab the phone off the floor. I watch him put the call on speaker.

"Are you still there my dear, dear girl?" I hear my uncle ask making me shiver. I felt the tears fall. I wanted to curl into a ball and sob uncontrollably. Chris noticed and pulled me into his chest.

"Can I help you with something?" Chris's voice was deeper than normal. It was obvious he was now pissed and worried.

"Ah, I see the bitch can't even speak for herself now that she's away from me." I flinched at the words. Chris was silently doing everything he could to keep me calm. His gentle hand now rubbing my back slowly was the only thing keeping me grounded to the situation and not spiraling out of control.

"I think you've said enough, goodbye." Chris went to hang up when my uncle shouted to stop.

"Look, now that she's marrying you, I know she's successful. I'm calling because she owes me for multiple years' worth of back pay for taking care of her sorry ass." I could now feel Chris shaking with anger, but he didn't stop rubbing my back.

"That's not going to happen." Chris said through gritted teeth.

"Fine, I'll just get a lawyer then." Chris started laughing at this.

"You do that, and we will show them all those scars you gave her. I know for a fact that those alone will deny your shitty claim." The other line went quiet, my uncle obviously thinking of something else to say but Chris just hung up, sliding the phone in the pocket before embracing me into a hug. The only thing I could process to ask was, "Will I really need to talk in court?" I asked through the now uncontrollably sobs.

"No baby, I would never make you do that. I just said it to shut him up. We wouldn't need that if he were to ever go to court about something as stupid as that." I nodded my head into his chest, and he held me.

Eventually that night I was calm enough to watch Little Mermaid with him.

End Flashback.

That night had just gone to shown that Chris loved me more than words could ever describe and it's because of his love I do everything in my power to ignore those comments online. Chris and I worked hard to remind the other that they don't matter. Their opinions don't matter. All that matters is us.