Chapter 40

Chapter Forty

Keep Your Head Up

"Stop crying," growled a fierce voice. "It's over." He hissed viciously. But the boy only kept whimpering. He tried so hard to muffle his sobs but he couldn't pull himself together. He clung more tightly to his knees, pushing his head header into his legs. "Shut up!" His father roared angrily, still scrubbing harshly at the couch with bleach. "Do you want to wake Sasuke?" His father snarled at the convulsing boy in the corner.

Itachi shook his head quickly, sniffling as he finally calmed his tears. He got a scary burning feeling inside him when he saw his father smile. "Come now Itachi, it always hurts the first time." He said more gently. His father lifted off the couch and carefully kneeled before his shivering son. "You know daddy would never really hurt his little boy." He whispered, tenderly brushing the stray strands of hair from Itachi's face. "You know daddy loves you. So no more crying. Big boys don't cry, right?" He asked with a smirk. Itachi nodded weakly. "Good, now we better get you cleaned up before your mother gets home. You know how she hates filthy boys." His father replied soothingly.

Itachi flinched when his father pulled him into a warm embrace. But he made no struggle when he was picked up and carried off to the bathroom. His father's voice constantly echoed in his ears, relentlessly telling him one thing. 'This is how you love someone Itachi. This is the only way to show it...'

It took all of Itachi's strength to finally open his eyes when he felt the warm glow of the morning's rays on his flesh. Despite how comfortable and heated the lights were, he couldn't depart from the cold and empty feeling he had gotten through his long sleep. Timid, sad red eyes peeked behind slightly opened lids as he viewed into the world of the living, a world he had wished he had parted from a long time ago. To his surprise he came face to face with spiky dark blue hair and a peaceful face.

His crimson eyes widened at such a close proximity of them both and he felt a small burning in his cheeks. Itachi lowered his gaze so he wouldn't be staring so intensely at Kisame but it didn't help him cool down any less when he found Kisame's arms wrapped securely around him. It just felt to uncomfortable to the Uchiha. To be this close to somebody and yet not be doing anything intimate. It felt so unnatural, at elast to him. In fact, he hated this feeling. As if he was expecting something to happen to him with his guard down.

"Itachi..." The raven haired male shuddered suddenly to hearing his name being whispered in such a sweet voice. No one should ever speak of him this way...as if he were some sort of angel or saint. Itachi was a little disappointed to seeing Kisame was still asleep. He rather have Kisame tease him for yesterday than be speaking of him in such an affectionate manner. He sighed meekly and wiggled out from under Kisame's grasp. He couldn't recall ever falling asleep on his own, so what happened.

Itachi stepped off the side of the bed and quickly started to search for some clothes for today. Though he was not up for a day of merriment, he would fake the impression of happiness for Naruto at least. "Itachi." The Uchiha frozen in his movements as his younger brother suddenly stepped in unannounced. Sasuke didn't seem bother by having caught Itachi while he was still naked. "We are all going to the beach now, so you two need to change into your bathing suits." Sasuke ordered. He quirked up a suspicious eyebrow. Was it him or did Itachi seem extra weird today? Sasuke looked over to Kisame, who had finally come out of his peaceful slumber when he first barged in. "Did something happen between you two? Naruto said he heard yelling over hear last night." Sasuke asked curiously.

Sasuke only became more skeptical of the situation when he saw how quickly Kisame averted his gaze from them both. Not to mention Itachi's eyes seemed to turn a shade darker, probably with anger or irritation. "Just the usual." Kisame answered lowly. Sasuke nodded in agreement and quickly left the room. He was relieved to finally go because it felt like you could cut the tension in there with a butter knife. "Itachi..." Kisame attempted to talk with the melancholy Uchiha, but he was rather scared of how this would turn out. He wished he could just take the easy way out and play the whole thing off as a joke, but he knew Itachi would never fall for it.