The last Smile

(Y/N) POV:

We had spent about three hours evading SHIELD. We did everything from clever driving, to switching vehicles and licence plates regularly and buying new clothes so that I was wearing something to cover up the blood stains.

After a while of driving we needed to come up with a plan.

"Guys we need somewhere we can lay low for a while." I said casually leaning in the backseat and keeping my eyes on the window behind me to spot any police or SHIELD cars.

Natasha seemed to nod in agreement. "Yeah we do. Do you have a safehouse somewhere nearby (Y/N)?" She asked.

I sighed slightly "Well, when I joined SHIELD I told Fury about the location of my American and Mexican safehouses so that if I needed to hide for a while he might be able to find me and help me out. Problem is that Fury may have put it on the system somewhere and that means that there will be guards waiting for any sign of us at each of my safehouses."

"What exactly do we need in order for it to be a safehouse?" Asked Steve obviously trying to work out something in his head while he drove us.

"Well," Natasha replied "You need a building which is legally owned by someone other than yourself usually a shell corporation or something of the kind. You also need for it to be somewhere out of the way that no-one would daily go to unless they live in that area. Why do y'know a place?"

"I just might." Steve replied

-------------------------------------------------------

An hour later

We arrived in a small plot of land near the outskirts of DC where cheap houses had been built. The wall around the area read "Property of the United States Department of Veteran's Affairs."

I guess it is technically owned by a non-personal organisation and this area is certainly out of the way. As we walked through the garden-eske landscape I wondered who this safe house could belong to. After a few minutes Steve found one of the houses and knocked on the door. The hous itsself was a small building made out of cheap bricks and even cheaper plastic roofing. The windows seemed to only have single rather than proper double glazing and the rooftiles were moulded and slightly out of place. 

After a few moments of waiting, the curtain behind it slipped upwards to reveal the pilot veteran from a few days ago on the other side of the door.

There was a moment where he looked dubious before opening the door a crack.

"Hey man." He said to Steve cautiously and got a tired nod in return.

"I'm sorry about this." Steve replied solemnly while looking up at his friend sombrely.

"We need a place to lay low for a while. Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Natasha added to Steve's statement and I watched as his eyes looked over every burned and soot-covered inch of us while the cogs and wheels in his brain turned quickly.

There was a quick look of deliberation upon his face before he opened the door fully. "Not everyone."

Once we had gotten inside, Steve began explaining the situation to his friend I now knew was called Sam. I asked him if I could use the shower and after getting permission, I washed all of the blood off of my chest that had been encrusted on my skin. It took quiet a lot of scrubbing but eventually I was clean as whistle.

Once I had gotten out of the shower and gotten clothed, I saw Natasha on the bed drying her hair from her earlier shower. We made eye contact for a moment before she looked away and focused on drying her hair again.