Vol. 4 Chapter 8 - Calm

———Principality Of Urestan, Royal Palace———

Urestan's Royal Palace generally has the common layout, but the main difference was Adele herself, particularly her less frequent stay on the throne, she tends to walk around or deal with things in her office rather than on the throne, mostly because she is young, prone to boredom upon remaining in one place.

As of now she remained by her Office where she dealt with current reports over in Sancerya, it was visibly going well. If you didn't count for the fact she had to deal with one of the housed imperial nobles, a Count.

"-So Those were the current statistics of the invasion, we have been-"

*bam*

"Just give it back!" A girl yelled as another simply held what appears to be a book up high.

"No." The other girl bluntly stated. "The more I leave you alone, the faster you will be wiping the term 'book' of the face of the world."

"Could you two stop that." Adele sent a glare to the two of her Royal Elites.

""Sorry, Your Highness.""

Urestan's Royal Elites were all in all, just that. They excel in their own specified fields of combat or logistics, all due to them being so-called 'Witches.' A type of magic-user that has either become nominally unstable in terms of handling it due to the levels of power, or their increased power comes at a cost.

All seven of them had the same cost, they tend to be cursed with a side-effect which harms all those around them, they were shunned and harassed. That all changed when they were taken in by Adele.

In the span of three years, several changes would alter that, something they never thought would be achieved. Their loyalty to Adele is supposedly greater than most. And their overall capabilities supplement that.

"Anyways, as I was saying..." the Count prepared to continue his report.

"Your Highness." A messenger enters Adele's office.

""Hm?"" Both of them uttered

"Yes?" Adele responded

"..." the man just stepped aside and let one of the Elites in, the 2nd assassin to participate in the interception operation.

"Yvonne?! What happened to you?!" Adele yelled in shock standing up from her seat and walking over, passing the Count.

"I-I... I..."

"Speak up... please." Adele said

"I'm sorry, your majesty. The interception has failed." She responded.

"What...?" Adele uttered

"I don't know how they... They... They were so few... Yet they managed to kill so many soldiers, e-even our steam-tanks..."

"What?! How?! Those Sand-huggers would never be able to destroy a steam-tank!" The count yelled

"Not. Them." Yvonne retorted

"...Who?"

"...I don't know... All I remembered were people in Greenish-Grey and Yellow uniforms, they all had black staves that fired and reloaded faster than our Needle Guns, and those foot soldiers alone managed to destroy a couple of steam-tanks I don't know how but at-least only two were enough to destroy a steam-tank."

"Impossible... That can't be..." The count uttered

"...Where's Edith?"

"...I..." Yvonne uttered before tearing up "I couldn't save her in time... She was captured..."