Vol. 1 Chapter 5 - The Mage

(??? POV)
— — —

I'am by my desk, currently in study.

"Hey... How's it going?"

Brother, He entered the room, the cold breeze deterred the heat from my candle.

"I'm Fine." I replied

"I hope you're doing well, me, Father, and mother will have to return to the town."

"Are you sure you should go?"

"Don't worry, We'll be fine. I know you'll be a good mage, You'll even come to us in a few months."

He proceeds to hug me tightly in his arms. Suddenly I felt his limbs go numb, which confused me.

"Brother?" I replied, without getting any response.

I found that the grip from his hug seems to have lost, I reactively looked up, He was wide-eyed. "B-Brother...?" I replied, though I never got a response from him.

Or rather he did respond, but in a way that would've only happened in my nightmares. Blood began to gush out from his mouth, everything around me suddenly began to crack like a mirror, before shattering and Brother's body fell to the ground lying on his back.

My eyes widened in shock, I couldn't even look as his torso unexplainably erupted in gushing blood, entrails spilling out like a disorderly cobweb.

I lost my stomach, as I remove my hands from my eyes, I was standing within the middle of a town, everything around me, buildings, stalls, and bodies were engulfed in fire.

My legs gave away, I fell down sitting on the floor, before I raise my head to see caped figure.

"You must be Esther. I've heard about you, The firestarter, The Scorcher, Bright-burn, There have been many titles. How about you come with me, be useful or else of course, your mother will share the same faith as your brother and father."

He points his blade towards his southwestern direction, I see both of my parents, and my father's throat got slit right then and there, and his body fell to the floor. Another figure held a dagger across mother's throat.

Tears erupted from my eyes.

"Stop... Stop!" I yelled.

"There Is nothing else you can do for her, other than join my group. I'll spare her life, don't worry I'm not one of those bastard liars, I truly am one who keeps his word."

I only look at him with disgust.

"Esther, you have no other choice." He held his hand out to me, Staring back at my mother, I don't want her to die, I could only reluctantly raise my hand, only for him to grasp my wrist.

"Good choice. Esther-" His voice was cut off, as a strange sound occurred.

—*bang*

His figure was knocked back but he was still on his feet, his figure just like the surroundings before began to crack and shatter, before all that's left was glass. My eyes widened in shock and confusion. Before I turned around.

"W-wha—..."

Several figures stand behind me, in grey uniforms that I've never seen before, but I have that feeling that they are military, they were wearing helmets but I don't see any other armour. They were holding spear-like objects, most of them seem to be evicting smoke from a hole on their front end. One of them looked at me, it was a Male with blue eyes.
I was hesitantly adjusted myself.

He began walking forward, as he lowered his strange weapon, and stared at me

"Don't Fire."

— — —