The Making of the Phantom

1984 central P.E.R.F.E.C.T.I.O.N.S Laboratory, just outside of Moscow

Dr. Astrikov wore white on the day he would build god. He stood before the rows of tanks filled with putrid green fluid, each containing a small, growing, child. The tanks were lined up in perfect symmetry, the children identical in every way, except for the slight genetic variations that Astrikov and his team had engineered. They were the subjects of the lab's latest experiment, a twisted attempt to create the perfect human being.

As Astrikov surveyed the lab, a sense of unease crept over him. The sight of the tiny, fragile bodies floating in the tanks, hooked up to tubes and wires, was enough to make anyone's stomach turn. But Astrikov was not just anyone, he was the lead scientist of the project, the one responsible for the lives of these innocent beings.

He had requested to be left alone to study the results of the latest round of injections, to analyze the patterns and determine the next step in the experimentation. But his solitude was interrupted when the door to the lab was flung open, and one of his colleagues, panting and out of breath, came rushing in. Astrikov's irritation was palpable as he turned to face the intruder, his clipboard clutched tightly in his hand, filled with the names and details of those that had already succumbed to the deadly chemicals.

"We've done it," the scientist exclaimed, his voice filled with excitement and triumph. "One of the specimens has survived every test, every serum, every mutation. We have created the perfect soldier."

Dr. Astrikov stood still, his mind racing as he processed the news. He had devoted his entire life to this project, to creating the ultimate being, the apex predator, the perfect soldier. He had started his work in Nazi Germany, attempting to create the perfect Aryan, but after joining the Russians, his ambitions had grown. He wanted to build god.

Years of research, experimentation and sacrifice had led to this moment. He couldn't believe it was finally here. "Are you certain?" He asked, his throat tight with tension.

"Yes, I am certain." The scientist replied, his voice filled with conviction. He gestured towards the tank where the miracle child lay, his eyes alight with excitement. Without hesitation, Dr. Astrikov dropped his clipboard, its papers fluttering to the ground, and followed the scientist, pushing past the other researchers who were hurrying to catch a glimpse of the specimen. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest as he made his way through the lab, dodging past equipment and dodging around other scientists. His focus was solely on the tank where his greatest creation was held, his mind already racing with the possibilities of what this breakthrough could mean for the future of science, warfare and humanity.

When they arrived, they found a crowd of colleagues gathered around the tank, staring in awe at the child inside. Dr. Astrikov approached slowly, his heart pounding with anticipation. He reached out and placed his hand on the glass, staring at the tiny form floating within. "You will be the greatest thing this world has ever known." He whispered, overcome with emotion.

The room erupted in cheers and applause as the scientists celebrated their breakthrough. Bottles of vodka were opened and passed around, the occasion marked with a toast to their success. Dr. Astrikov stood back, watching as his colleagues celebrated, a sense of satisfaction and triumph washing over him.

--------------------------------------------------

11 years later somewhere in eastern russia

Dr. Astrikov stood on the sidelines of a sparring chamber, surrounded by a few of his highest-ranking supporters. The room was quite large for a facility so far underground with concrete walls and flickering lights just adding to the offputting atmosphere. In the centre of the room was a well-worn sparring mat marked with the initials RR in the centre. The Red Room. Ironic considering throughout every facility he had visited, Dr. Astrikov had never seen a single hint of the colour upon the walls, everything was various shades of grey and dirty white.