Play 3(check it)

Mikey's Pov

"Deja, what the hell?" I shout from the middle of the court as Deja misses on her 5th layup

She huffs and bends down to get her rebound and tries to lay it up but it bounces off the back board flying to the middle of the court where I was. I swiftly pick up the ball frowning at her as she leans down catching her breath.

"Why we resting on our knees, wassup? You tired of something?" I ask stepping closer to her as she breathes extra hard and sweat dripping off of her body. "Nah." She shakes her head wiping off her sweat on her forehead as I check the ball with her.

She catches the ball dribbling it a couple of times before I easily swapped the ball out of her hands and laid the ball up myself. I look back and she didn't even try to fight for the ball. Instead she leaned over again with her face flushed.

"You need a break?" I ask her and she quickly sits up shaking her head. "No no, let's keep going." She says out of breath and I sighed looking at her appearance remembering that I'm supposed to be helping her, not breaking her.

"We can stop today if you want, cause you gotta scrimmage tomorrow." I say resting the ball under my arm trying to give her a chance but she shifts her weight looking around. "No, I'm good." She denies and my face hardens looking her up and down.

"Then what the fuck is going on with you? You keep missing easy shit and you getting tired just from jumping in the air. Arms up." I reprimand lifting her arms from her knees to the top of her head.

She shuffled her legs rubbing her lips together until they start to quiver. "I—I don't know Mikey." She says in a shaky voice and my face instantly softens. "My heart is here, I swear it is but my mind it's just.." she trails off as I see her eyes wail up and a tear escapes.

"What you thinking bout?" I ask her with an eyebrow up and she wipes her face as she starts to sob. "How am I supposed focus back on basketball after what happened? I can't even play like how I used to in Highschool anymore, middle school even. Shit, I suck!" She cries covering her face.

I pull at one of her arms pulling her into me as I embrace her as she cries into my shoulder. "You do not suck, trust me. I'd be the first to tell you if you did." I tell her looking around to make sure nobody was around hearing our business.

"Mikey yes I do. I can't even do a simple layup anymore." She sniffled and I huffed pulling her face away. "Do you wanna get better?" I ask her and she nods her head, her high ponytail swaying along with her movements.

"Then spend less time crying about it." I peck her lips once. "And more time working at it." I say, repeating what my dad used to tell me as a kid.

"You caught yo breath?" I ask her and she nods her head wiping away her tears. I nod my head before shooting the ball across court for her to get. "Ight now chase it. Come on, let's go hustle hustle!" I shout and she sprints across the court to catch the ball and shoot it but it misses.