Play 42 (Stuck)

Mikey's Pov

"And so I'm offering this simple phrase

"And so I'm offering this simple phrase." Zeena sings along with the speaker sitting sprawled out on the living room floor while wrapping a huge box with wrapping paper. "Bae, can you hand me the tape please?" She asks cheerfully and I get up from the couch picking up the tape from off the T.V mantel while looking at her from the corner of my eye.

"Here." I hand it to her earning a bright smile that perturbed her cheeks upward. "Thanks, lifesaver!" She exclaims happily throwing me off. I look at her sideways as she continues to sing with a complacent smile on her face, which was borderline creepy.

I sigh looking at my Apple Watch seeing that it was well past midnight. "Bae I'm tired and it's getting kinda late." I let her know while walking over to close the blinds to the living room windows.
"Oh right Ofcourse. You should go to bed, I'll be right down here finishing up." She chuckles as a matter of factly and I shake my head.

"Nah, come to bed with me." I tell her calmly walking back over to her. "It's okay I'm not done yet, plus Kez comes Christmas morning which is technically today and I'm not even half way finished wrapping her gifts." She explains allowing some of the stress to escape through her voice.

"Heard you. Now come to bed." I cut her off turning towards the stair case. "I said no, I'm not done." She giggles slightly. I sigh turning back to face her weird ass. She was adding like 7 strips of tape on the same spot as she refused to look up.

"Look Bae—"

"Mikey, don't. Not right now." She cuts me off pushing one box to the side and grabbing one of the princess dollhouses I bought for Kez. And she started the process of wrapping it ignoring my presence.

I wipe my chin looking at her desperate attempt to look sane. "We gotta talk about it." I say and she ignores me by pulling a long strip of tape and tearing it with her teeth. "Zeena—"

"What Mikey? You want me to be sliding down the walls crying because I found my mother OD on the floor? Gosh can't you see I'm trying to make this Christmas as functional as possible but you stay on my dick about old ass shit. But you forget, they're my problems, not yours nigga. Damn!" She rants tossing the tape away and her smile was no longer there as she tries to find it.

I study her now distraught stature as she desperately tries to find something to occupy herself with. "Shit, you the one that bought her all these damn gifts." She scoffs to herself as she seals up another box.

I sigh walking over towards the couch, sitting on the leg. She frowns at her work as she continues to put it all together. The gifts now looking lopsided to fit her mood. "Come here." I demand softly, trying not to adopt her mood.

She frowns writing Kez's name on top of the box ignoring me. "Zeena Jelani." I remind her with more volume but still calm. She bucks her nose and closes the lid to the marker before reluctantly getting up and walked over to stand in front of me.