Chapter 14

Arthit's POV

We are all gathered in the cheer hall waiting for the hazers to come and start the session. Everybody is present today and is eager for the session to start. Seeing our excitement Second-year seniors warned us.

"Nong, we all know that the seniors all do care for you all and are proud of you all but when it comes to the hazing session nothing will change... they will be the same people like before being strict and trying to teach you things... So don't get over-excited and get into trouble. They separate both the situation and will handle the session in the same old way. " P'Yatch the head of the cheer team warned us along with other seniors.

The hall went dead silent when the doors opened. The hazers entered the room with stoic faces and they seemed more serious than before. We were wondering what happened that made them so serious. P'Kongpob came forward.

"Swadeekhab Freshman... ! I am glad that you all have won the game and even the freshy event. We heartfully congratulate you all for the winning and we are proud of you all that you did not let down our series of winning streaks." P'Kongpob spoke with an indifferent voice.

"But we are not at all happy with the forum comments from you all speaking about the hazing session. Though you will be rewarded for you succeeding.. but you all are gonna do 200 squats for disrespecting the seniors." P'Tew spoke with a cold voice which was really shocking to us.
"FRESHMAN 200 SQUATS NOW" P'Wad, P'Em shouted.
"ALSO COUNT OUT LOUD AND CLEAR" P'Oak added.

We started doing our squats counting out loud when the door opened revealing seniors whom we never knew. P'Kongpob and his team stepped back and they stood in front of them facing us. They asked us to stop doing the squats.

"Freshman... These are the current 4th years who are the hazers last year. P'Deer is the head hazer along with P'Gun as second in command. Pay them your respect." P'Kongpob said. We all wai'ed them and felt the unusual air in the hall.
"First years... I and my team would like to congratulate all of you for winning the games and freshy event." P'Deer said. They then moved towards the side and stood facing P'Kongpob and his team.

"And you hazers what are the things we are hearing from the forum. Is this what you are trained for? Is this how you teach things and discipline the first years.?" P'Deer asked with an angry voice sending shivers down everyone's spine.

"First years sit down. And you hazers... What are the punishments you have given to the freshman since the first day." P'Gun spoke this time with a neutral voice.
"200 push-ups.. 200 squats and 200 sit stand together while holding their friends and also 54 laps around the ground were the punishment we ordered them." P'Kongpob spoke with a clear voice.

"Then Hazers... I am sure you all know that you all must be able to do all the orders you give. Right.?" P'Gun asked them
"Khab P. We know" All the hazers answered together.
"Then I want you all to do the punishments you gave them." P'Deer said shocking us.

" Hazers get ready to do 200 push-ups.. 200 squats and 200 sit stands together while holding their friends and I as the head hazer would do the 54 laps around the ground. Permission to start our punishment. " P'Kongpob said.
" Start now and I want to hear the count loud and clear." P' Deer ordered motioning them to start.

"Hazers get into position" P'Kong said.

With that, they went to positions. They were doing the pushups counting out loud together. They were all maintaining unity and their speed was uniform. We were amazed to see their coordination.

They did one after one punishment. Although at the start some of them felt that it was a nice thing they were punished but as they did their punishment we could feel their unity.. spirit... respect for seniors and their orders which they are following without any questions. They completed doing the pushups.. then squats and then sit-stands.

"Reporting P. We completed 200 push-ups.. 200 squats and 200 sit stands together. Now I would like to complete the 54 laps." With that P'Kongpob left to do the laps. The fourth-year seniors spoke to us about SOTUS and then dispersed us to our classes as it was time for our class to start. We made our way to the class.

For the whole 3 periods, none of us spoke in the class... All we could do was think about what happened in the hazing session. By the end of our classes, there were no seniors in the department and all of us went to our dorms. After an hour or so I got a call from my friends saying that P'Kongpob is still running the laps even though it was raining... I was shocked hearing it because although I was punished to do 54 laps all I did was 7 laps before stopping.

I immediately rushed to the ground with an umbrella where P'Kongpob was doing the laps. I tried running behind him with an umbrella asking him to stop. But I failed.

"Nong these are the orders by our seniors which we will complete without any questions. Don't you dare try to meddle with it. Go and sit with your friends. " P'Em shouted at me. I made my way towards the seating area where all the engineering freshmen were already seated along with some second and third years.

I sat down silently praying that P'Kongpob will be fine. All of us now understood what SOTUS was. We regretted questioning them and always shouting at them calling them unfair. We now understood the importance of unity. We understood why the seniors are to be respected and their orders should be followed. We now understood why are determination and spirit important.

The thing that made us feel worse was... Our parents have always told the same thing... respecting the elders and listening to them. They asked us to work hard and be determined. This was what our seniors thought of us but with examples. They stood by us supporting us... guiding us and standing for us. But all we gave them in return was trouble.

We felt guilty but we finally understood what SOTUS is and why is Engineering department is a close-knitted family that anyone would like to be a part of despite the harsh hazing. We were all promising to ourselves to respect them as they deserved to be especially the hazers.

The loud cheer from seniors saying that " It was the last round" pulled us out of our thoughts. We all stood behind the seniors showing our respect to P'Kongpob.

"Come on Kong you can do it... It's the last round.." I can hear the other hazers cheering for him.
When P was about to approach the finishing line all the hazers went a stood there to hold him and support him. P'Kongpob lost control when he was near to the fining line and fell on to the ground. I wanted to run and help him but the seniors stopped us saying that he won't accept it because it was his punishment.

"Kong you are almost done... please get up Kong.."P'Em and P'Tew kind of begged.
"Kong you did great till now just the last 100meters Kong.. get up.." P'Wad shouted encouraging him..
"Kong you can do it " P'Oak cheered for him.
"Ai'Kong.. I am getting all wet.. Trust me I will blame you if I get sick.. you better come fast so that we can leave and take rest." P'Prae shouted making P'Kongpob shake his head smiling.

He started running and was about to collapse again after reaching the finish line but was caught by P'Em and P'Wad. The hazers along with P'Prae and P'Maprang were leaving but they stopped in front of us.

"Nong Knot... Make sure every junior goes back to their dorm and I don't want anyone falling sick" P'Kong told Knot and let without any other word. We were all shocked when he cared for us even at this point making us more guilty for our actions towards them.

Every one of the students left... The forum was filled with apologies to the seniors for not understanding them and for all the trouble we caused them. It was also filled with saying that SOTUS was the best thing they have ever learned and promises to follow it till the end of their life. Students were also thanking the hazers for not giving up on us and making us learn SOTUS.

I, Knot, Prem, Bright, and Tutah decided to meet tomorrow over lunch as it was a weekend and then talk... for now we wanted to call it day because it was too many emotions for us to take in. We felt that we were the ones who caused them more trouble by always shouting at them. I ended up in bed thinking about P'Kongpob without knowing when I slept.